Need CD Changer Recommendation

MBM135

Hey,

I am in the market for a new CD Changer. My Denon DCM-370 is acting up--has a static discharge problem. I could buy a new one for what it would cost to send this one in and get it fixed.

Yeah, yeah, I know...CD changers are supposed to all suck and be for convenience only. I use my Rega Planet for serious listening but like the changer to be able to entertain, parties, etc.

I am considering the follow-on to the DCM-370 which is the 380. Supposedly the static discharge problem was a with the early 370s and has been rectified with the 380. The 370 sounds awesome when it is functioning fine and both players can be had new for a bit over $200. A bargian.

Another option is the Rotel RCC-955 or 1055. Both Denon and Rotel use Burr Brown 18, 20 or 24 bit DACs. The Rotel is probably a better player but lists at $700 and used ones are scarce. The Rotel display looks identical to the Denon and I supect they share common parts.

I have it down to Denon or Rotel because both have HDCD capability (the Pacific Microsonics technology chip) that I believe is awesome. And I have a number of HDCD CDs. They sound much better than on the Rega which lacks HDCD.

H/K makes a HDCD changer but reviews are really bad. Cal Audio Labs is the only other HDCD changer out there I know of but it is $$$$$$.

I thought about SACD for my 2 chan set-up but don't want to shell out over $20 for the SACD CDs--I would buy half a dozen and get tired of the expense.

Any advice..am I missimg something here??

Thanks

• Like 1

Mike-

I may be jumping on a DCM-380 before too long to round out my 2-ch system once my 299B makes it back from Craig. Not sure how long it will be to get the CD player, as I may try to make do with my existing one, but I will need to get one sooner rather than later.

BTW, hope the move "south" went well.

I am in a similar situation. Right now, I'm leaning towards a Sony SCD-C222ES. It plays SACD's and seems to get great reviews. Presently I have an Arcam MCD that sounds pretty darn good but has been discontinued. A close friend just got one of the Sony's and raves about it. Most everyone I've talked to has said SACD really seperates itself sonically from regular cd and is about as close as you can get to vinyl without the hassle. The chain music stores out here in Southern California sell most SACD's for $15.00-$20.00 which is not a ton more than standard cd.

Good Luck,

Chris

i wouldnt go with sony, compared to denon-rotel they are very boomy, i had 1 and gave it to my son because he likes hip hop and the sony boom seems to add to hip hop. between the rotel and denon, the rotel beats it every time, the only player in the same league in the same price range is the denon 2900, or yammy 2800, they are not changers but you get the drift12.gif