Been enjoying my old vinyl

After cleaning and getting a better ground connection for my TT, I have found that the noise has improved (not left, but improved). I was surprized at the condition of some of my records...not too bad except for the occasional scratch I must have incurred while in my earlier years while trying to play records and exist in a separate reality at the same time 6.gif .

I did find a perplexing problem. As the platter spins, I get what sounds like a little static, like surface noise for about 1/4-1/3 of a revolution...but it's not surface noise when the needle is lifted and the noise continues. What's wierd is that it's happening at the same spot on the platter as it rotates...there are openings in the platter itself, but there are 3 spaced equally, so it isnt some RFI from below going through the platter holes. If I turn up the speed to 45 rpm, it happens in the same section, just speeds up with the platter speed. This is wierd...if it were the motor, it wouldn't necessarily happen in the same area on the platter...any ideas?

I suspect that you have a mechanical rather than an electrical issue. Can your turntable run with the platter removed ?? If so then your troubleshooting task will be a little easier. If not you can still use most of the steps I will suggest here.

Remove the platter and run the motor. If you still hear the noise then the problem is with the motor itself or something that may be being rubbed or vibrated by the motor. If the TT runs quietly W/O the platter but makes the noise with it then check that the platter is not rubbing against a wire or as frequently happens the platter may be brushing against the plinth ( That can often be corrected by more accurately levelling the TT or using shims/washers to increase the clearance between the whole mechanism and the plinth - Bear in mind however that if you have to change that spacing you will need to readjust the Vertical Tracking Angle of your tonearm.

Many TT makers in the 70's used a type of rigid but thin plastic material to surface the plinth. That material has a tendency with the passage of a lot of time to relax and expand but being tightly confined is forced to buckle upward and may come into contact with the underside of the platter's outer lip. That contact is not necessarily constant especially if the platter itself is a little out of true or the mechanism as a whole is out of level.

>...not too bad except for the occasional scratch I must have incurred while in my earlier years while trying to play records and exist in a separate reality at the same time.

Yeah, I've copy of DSOTM with a seed burn in it...

Certainly don't recall how that happened.

Dave