Speaker Pop, hiss, please help me diagnose

damonrpayne

I recently replaced my old surrounds with RS-7s. I did this sooner than I had planned because my surround left seemed to be making a lot of noise and "popping" so I figured it was on its way out. After owning the RS-7s for 3 days now the RS-7 in the surround left position is doing the same thing!

-The hiss is so loud I can hear it with all channels driven watching "Episode II" at high volume.

-The "pop" seems to mostly happen when the DVD player/receiver changes sound modes, or when I have paused or stopped a DVD and start it again.

I am double-checking the connection again again after I post this. What can cause this type of thing? could I give other information to help diagnose?

Try swapping the left and right rear surrounds and repeat test. If the right surround (used to be left surround) makes the noise, then your speaker is at fault. If the sound stays at your left (old right surround) then you may have a noisy output or internal amp problem in your receiver. Or the work you are asking of it ( all channels driven almost to clipping ) is way too much for your receiver to take. You could also try using a dedicated amplifier for the left and right main speakers using the preamp outputs of your receiver. This will take a lot of load off the receiver and free up more current to power the rears and center. You could also try a friends receiver to see if it exhibits the same problems. Good luck and keep us posted!

In a way I've already tried the swap idea with two totally different speakers. I don't have the $$ right now to buy an amp or I'd already have one. I finally have everything taken apart so I'm putting it back together and then I can experiment.

One thing, it sometimes gets WICKED HOT in my place, could that be part of the problem?

OK, I swapped the RS-7s.

Whichever one I put on the Surround Left channel pops when the volume is changed up or down, pops whenever the DVD player does something, and makes the hissing noise. What do I try now, different cable? Is my receiver hosed? I can't freaking stand this.

Those are all symptoms of poor or *maybe* (not likely) failing electronics. The new speakers are efficient enough to let you hear the problems. I suspect the previous ones were not. The only solutions are to live with it or buy better quality gear. The diagnostic test would be to put the old ones back in, or any other speakers, and stand close to see if the noises are still there, but very quiet.

The thing is, it sort of comes and goes. If this is indicative of poor gear, that really sucks. I just bought the receiver too.

I'm not hurting the speakers by subjecting them to the pop and hiss am I? I guess I'll be upgrading gear sooner than I thought :(

I have that similar problem years ago. I was using an external DD decoder and whenever it gets hot, I hear hisss and popping noise as you described. It only happens when it gets hot so I bought a small computer fan, heat sink and installed it inside the decoder. It works! I hope this helps.

• Like 1