RB-75 w/ sub or RF-35 w/o sub?

JamesDL

I am new to hi fi systems, and have spent the past few months researching speakers for my first system. I have decided on Klipsch but am unsure as to which model would be best for the money. For the receiver I am between the H/K 525 and Denon 3803. This system will be almost entirely for music, except for the occasional movie, maybe 2-4 movies per month. However, I definitely want a subwoofer and surrounds eventually, but to start I am just getting 2 mains, and maybe the subwoofer. Which is why I posted in the 2 channel forum. My question is, which would sound better, the RB-75 with a good sub (SVS PC+) or the RF-35 with no sub for now?

I've listened to the RB-35 and didn't like the lack of base, but thought the sound was good. I listened to the RF-35 but not side by side and liked them too. I have heard that bookshelves have better imaging than floorstanders, and I feel like the bigger tweeter in the RB-75 would make clearer highs than the RF-35 or RB-35, so with the subwoofer, a better overall presentation.

Would this be the case? Or am I better off with floorstanders? I have a big room approx 20x20 (I haven't actaully seen my new apartment yet, despite having already paid 3 months rent on it). However, wall mounting the bookshelves would still be nice to save space.

Anyway, in the back of my mind I believe I will be very happy with whatever I end up with, its just that as soon as I make up my mind, new questions start coming into the equation... I just need some guidance so I can have enough confidence to make a purchase :)

Thanks in advance... I've been reading this BB for a while and I know you guys are very helpful.

----------------

On 7/29/2003 2:28:40 PM JamesDL wrote:

I am new to hi fi systems, and have spent the past few months researching speakers for my first system. I have decided on Klipsch but am unsure as to which model would be best for the money. For the receiver I am between the H/K 525 and Denon 3803. This system will be almost entirely for music, except for the occasional movie, maybe 2-4 movies per month. However, I definitely want a subwoofer and surrounds eventually, but to start I am just getting 2 mains, and maybe the subwoofer. Which is why I posted in the 2 channel forum. My question is, which would sound better, the RB-75 with a good sub (SVS PC+) or the RF-35 with no sub for now?

I've listened to the RB-35 and didn't like the lack of base, but thought the sound was good. I listened to the RF-35 but not side by side and liked them too. I have heard that bookshelves have better imaging than floorstanders, and I feel like the bigger tweeter in the RB-75 would make clearer highs than the RF-35 or RB-35, so with the subwoofer, a better overall presentation.

Would this be the case? Or am I better off with floorstanders? I have a big room approx 20x20 (I haven't actaully seen my new apartment yet, despite having already paid 3 months rent on it). However, wall mounting the bookshelves would still be nice to save space.

Anyway, in the back of my mind I believe I will be very happy with whatever I end up with, its just that as soon as I make up my mind, new questions start coming into the equation... I just need some guidance so I can have enough confidence to make a purchase
:)

Thanks in advance... I've been reading this BB for a while and I know you guys are very helpful.

----------------

how loud do you like your music? the sound quality on the RB-75's will be most likely far better than the RF-35, especially in the midrange and high end. they share the same tweeter as the flagship RF-7's use, which is in a whole different league (better imaging, way better clarity, more crisp, whatever word you want). as for bookshelfs imaging better than floorstanders? this is typically not the case. if the drivers and cabnit quality in a floorstanding unit is equal quality to the bookshelf speaker, the floorstanders will almost always perform better. the cabnits are heavier, which reduces cabnit vibrations, thus cleaning up soundstage and imaging. Also, bass usually extends deeper and with more impact, and efficiency is is fairly higher. I would listen to both side by side, and decide which sound I prefer, as they will undoubtably be much different. I think the RB-75's would sound better, but I haven't heard them yet.

Floorstander or bookshelf? I'd just say they each have their own set of pros and cons. Which is best for you depends. But for MY money, the RB-75 would be the pick over the RF-35. A pair of RB-75's with a good sub would make an oustanding beginning to a great klipsch speaker set-up.

The post is confusing. It would have made more sense to ask (from a monetary perspective): Should I buy the RB-75's ($1200), or the RB-35's and a sub ($1500). RB-75's and a sub pushes you close to $2000, at that point I say go for RF-7's and forget the sub.

When you hear a speaker in the store, you can hear the character of the bass, but you are not going to hear the true bass potential as it relates to output until you get it home. Your room and placement will tell you more than anything you hear in a store.

This is probably not going to be your last purchase, so I say go for the RB-75's now, and add the sub later (unless you can afford it now).

If your question is just primarily asking about bookshelves compared to floorstanders, then I say things need to be compared on equal ground. Say, RB-75's and a sub -- to RF-7's. For two channel music, I would definitely opt for the RF-7's. Subs always sound somewhat disconnected to me, no matter how well calibrated.

Yeah, you're right... my post was kinda confusing... But I can get the RB-75's and the RF-35's for almost the same price from an authorized dealer here in NYC - 825 USD for the RF-35's, 875 USD for the RB-75's. He is also giving me free shipping to CT so I dont pay sales tax.

Thus, keeping in mind that I will eventually buy a sub either way, the question is; which is better for almost the same money? I briefly considered the RF-7's but besides being way too big and heavy (I will probably be moving once or twice a year for the next 2 or 3 years), they are a bit beyond my budget. A thought I did have was that if I got the RB-75s, if I ever get RF-7's I can move the 75's to surrounds, whereas doing so with the RF-35's won't be as good a match. I am also leaning towards the bookshelves because of the moving thing.

Anyway, I am probably going to buy something next week... Spending money is painfully fun :)

It's Sound City on 45th btw 5th and 6th. I've been dealing with Steve, the manager. I highly recommend the store. They carry a lot of top brands, and have lots of demo units available. Steve is very helpful; he hasn't pressured me into spending more money or anything. They are in the middle of remodeling, so demo-ing was a little difficult - but I was impressed when he took the time to hook up the RB-35's just for me in another room, because the room they are putting the bookshelves in is under construction. They've been there for 30 years and have a good reputation.