Audiogon Academy

garymd

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/auc.pl?spkrfull&1059786347

smarmy(http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=smarmy).

I'm going to listen to my Academys now. Won an AC-3 decoder on eBay. Waiting. (HT is not a great priority right now. As long as I have some surround for special effects, I am happy.) And I sold my Adcom GFA 555-II. I hope I don't regret it. Need to get my dual source switcher employed soon so I can have 2-channel tubed and HT SS'ed in one system.

----------------

On 7/30/2003 9:40:07 PM garymd wrote:

Anyone know what happened with that auction? Just curious if he ended up going through with it after all the hubbub.

----------------

Greetings:

Yes, no-one that he said he would sell it to, or contacted him complained.

I forwarded all emails except the 2911K photo bit.

I'll bet the first person that he accepted and stated he would sell will be upset to learn that what he did was not acceptable. I couldn't file a dispute because I had no email stating acceptance.

Now he's taking his pain in the A** all the way to the bank.

If he gave multiple acceptances, he broke AudiogoN's guidelines ("No, that is not acceptable" Audiogon rep) and broke contract law.

If I had received an acceptance, I'd be furious. I'm glad I did it for a good friend, but really irritated to see him profit off of his pain in the A**.

Turn it into an auction to make it fair? Fair for those with the most money to bid. If one of the Forum members does NOT get it, I hope he ships UPS.

Great way to gather email addresses and see how much interest there is. Advertise something for sale then change to an auction.

Craid, Dean, The Ear, Ryan: new way to make money. $2.00 a classified.

I just don't like to see those that don't have a lot of money get a phillips head in the behind.

dodger

Hello Again:

AudiogoN is not an eBay. You have classifieds that say you will sell at one price or best offer (obo). It will note at the bottom if the Seller is firm at that price or is taking offers.

This guy had a classified, listed one price, then because "he got so many emails offering him more than the asking price,,,(he turned it into ) an auction to make it fair" The email was addressed to 20 + people and then he sends 1/2 of an email boxful of pictures.

Then he complains what a pain in the A** selling it is, Duh, advertise, receive email, open read, send accptance and how/where to pay, notify others it's sold or go back and note SALE PENDING. Even if the first offers more, he stated his price.

And now the poor man has to worry as to what the price will be when the auction ends and rub his behind all the way to the bank.

I don't like to see a venue like Audiogon used like that, because once it happens........ and NOBODY ELSE complains.......

I also don't like to see the little guy get shafted when the bidding goes above his ability to pay when there was a stated price. It's like offering more on a "Dutch Auction" on eBay and each bidder raises the price.

Soapbox put away.

Win

Couple of thoughts -

- "you can't legislate morality" or impose honor on someone else's character

- we now know the price of one person's integrity

- I guess i am not willing to do more than shake my head at this person's actions, and i hope the next time i mess up i'll get no worse than that.....

• Like 1

----------------

On 7/31/2003 9:42:09 AM Klipschfoot wrote:

I didn't edit my post. Maybe the moderator did. Perhaps the link to the dictionary site was the problem. I though it was smarmy to offer it and then reneg on the offer when he got an "overwhelming" response.

----------------

I must of misread your post originally. You are officially cleared of any wrongdoing. 9.gif