rear surrounds and back surounds

jgatty

I saw a post on another thread about using both rear surrounds and back surrounds. I have 7:1 receiver, but the extra speakers are shown as front surrounds. Is there a different setup I should know about? I am interested in enhancing the sound of music as well as my HT.

Thanks,

JG

A relatively new format, 6.1 or EX uses 6 discrete channels plus a sub or LFE channel. As I understand it, one uses a center, right and left front, right and left surrounds perpendicular to the listening area and a single rear surround. The 7.1 format splits the rear channel into two equivalent signals. Each is then used by a THX Ultra II receiver to create a "phased" sound effect with the surround channel on its side.

A good short description of the various formats may be seen at pioneerelectronics.com. Download the manual for the 49TXi, their flagship receiver, and check near the back of the manual where THX post-processing is explained.

Keith

i am curious, what receiver do you have and where did you get it. 7.1 is not available in the states. sad thing is when i was in germany, oh 5 years ago, yahama had the a1 receiver out. i was going to buy it but i ran out of time. as you might know yahama already has out a 8.1 channel, but again you can't buy it in the states....legally.16.gif

jgaddy,

I have used both a 7.1 & now a 6.1 setup in my HT room. The thing you need to keep in mind is there is no 7.1 material available, only 6.1 in the form of DD-EX or DTS-ES.

If you have two back surrounds instead of one it is still only a mono signal for the 7.1 configration. The 2 back ones would play the exact same sound. The benefit of having 2 instead of 1 is a little better sound field. Since I built my center I moved my old center to the back rear and took the 2 that were in the back and added them to my side surrounds. So I went from a so called 7.1 setup to a 6.1 setup. Not really missing a lot by having only 1 in the back now. But the added side surrounds are a big improvement in my room.

Hey 6 7 8 9 10.1 Where will the madness end?

Check my HT page on how I have mine setup