Monster v. Home Depot

KWTX

Might I suggest another option, a more DIY route. Canare makes some very good cabling, I have heard very positive reports of their StarQuad speaker wire and I have several hundred feet of their interconnect cable. I'm starting to prefer the DIY route, if I add a new component and the interconnect cable is too short, I just whip up a new one in 5 minutes. Also, I'm somewhat a stickler for quality couplings, and the crimp connectors used in the Canare interconnects are top quality and won't loosen or behave as if they are going to fall off at any time like most of the Monster Cables that I have. The only down fall is that you need the crimp tools, although you can do it without them you get a much higher quality/secure connection with them.

One of the last bits of Monster cable is in my speaker connections, I have been pondering for quite some time to replace it all with the Canare StarQuad, specifically the 4S11. For termination of the speaker wire I was going to use the RadioShack Gold-Plated Dual Banana Plug (#278-308).

As for hearing the difference in cables...Can I hear a difference in cables....YES. But a HUGE caveat with that yes, I took the thinnest, crappiest cable I could get and compared it to the Canare. DUH, there was quite a bit of difference, but when I compared the Canare to the Monster, I couldn't hear any difference. Most of us don't have super high resolution, aka $$$$$$$$$$, gear so any fine difference in cables that MIGHT exist we won't hear. Just get some cables with adequate gauge and insulation (preferably UL rated) and call it good and enjoy the music!

-Dave

We just got a 500ft spool of 14 gauge Monster plenum rated for use at work (it has the light green look), totally round and pulls through walls and ceilings very easily. Really nice to work with. We got it from www.smarthome.com

I was suprised that parts express didn't have it listed.

Marvel