Cornwall's fit perfectly in front of Khorns

greg928gts

They fit right in front of the Khorns and don't interfere much with the mid horn or any with the bass or the tweeter. Actually a pretty neat setup having both right there in the same room! I'm not sure it's the best location for the Cornwalls, but the only place they'll fit in my room the way it's set up.

Just got the Cornwalls and gave them a listen. Very nice. I like them a lot better than the KLF30's. I've determined that speakers with 2 - 12's are boomy, at least in my room. I had AR-9's in there and I like the AR-90's better (2 - 10" woofers). 10's in a sealed cabinet seem to have a tighter sound and flatter response.

Besides the Khorns being superior in almost every way, there is one noteworthy difference between the Cornwalls and the Khorns, I really notice the low mids with the Cornwalls. Those frequencies seem more pronounced. The low resonance that comes from your voice when you say "you" for instance is something that really comes right out of the Cornwalls. You actually feel the vibration of those frequencies. I would guess 150 hz to 250 hz.

Of course, this also may have to do with using a flea sized amp on the Khorns and not really having enough bass. I've got the 200 watt McIntosh on the Cornwalls.

The Cornwalls sound better the louder you push them. On the contrary, the KLF30's sound better at medium volume and start to bother me at higher volumes. KLF30's have the midrange "set back" in the mix.

Greg

I could try it, i didnt want to hide the nice look of my Klipschorns, besides i have enough sound thru the K-horns as is, i doubt all 4 in the same place would be a good idea!

Plus i have the heresys on top of the Klipschorns!

In my opinion, its too much at once, i listen to the heresys, the K-horns or cornwalls, usually a set at a time!

At times ill listen to the Klipschorns and the cornwalls at once!

I have the H/K 730 on the Klipschorns and the cornwalls, and the H/K 430 on the heresys!

But i did ask about placing cornwalls in front of a Klipschorn, the response i got was make it a Heresy, in other words the cornwall would sound like a Heresy directly in front of the Klipschorn!

Regards Jim9.gif

I had a pr of Cornwalls in front of my Khorns for a few months while I switched around equipment and played with them. In my room, I really noticed a drop in the Khorn's lower-mids and bass and the imaging went out the window - so much so that I stopped listening to them and consentrated on the CWs so I could get them out of the way faster.

The CWs are very nice speakers and I imagine they would be great in a room where the Khorn doesn't fit. I tried several different amps and found the 300b SET sounded best in my system. NIce detail and 8 watts seemed ideal for the woofers where my 2A3 (3.5w) and 45 (1.5w) amps didn't have enough juice for tough, complex passages like say, King Crimson. I also used them with a Dynaco ST70, Korneff EL84SE and Transcendent T8 OTL and they sounded fine as well - just not as nice IMO.

Getting back to the subject, I eventually moved the CWs out of the way and the Khorn's imaging and bass was back - and more so than I had thought. I didn't think the difference would be so pronounced and realized that I couldn't really compare the 2 speakers with the CWs in front. For my purposes, the Khorn betters the CW pretty much across the board. JMHO.

Oh, I didn't mean play both pairs at once, just that it's cool how they physically fit in front of the Khorns. I'm only going to be allowed to keep them there for a few days before the comments start up. I really need to get my own room built soon.

Boy those Cornwalls sound nice. I was cranking Steely Dan this morning. Tight, solid, low bass. Much nicer than the KLF30's which are headed into storage until they are sold.

Greg