Cheap Turntable Recommendation

MBM135

Supposing a guy wanted to experiment with vinyl and get a cheap turntable, what would you vinylheads recommend?

Any particular brand? Denon? Technics? If I remember right wasn't Technics famous for their TTs?

Direct drive (quartz)? Automatic or manual arm?

There are 1500 TTs for sale on eBay--many under $100 including the cartridge. Would rather put money into LPs as opposed to dropping loads of cash on a TT since I am primarily a CD guy.

Any thoughts are appreciated. Gotta stay under $200 max. Thanks!

Mike

• Like 1

I used to own a fine Denon DP-62L direct-drive manual 'table, and my dad had the equally fine automatic Technics SL-1700MK2. If I was to buy a new affordable 'table today, I would consider the belt-drive Music Hall MMF-1 at $180 with an included Goldring cartridge. It's considered the affordable high-end, with great reviews and excellent specs.

Just my opinion...

I own an old Denon direct drive TT, B&O belt drive TT, Hitachi Linear tracking TT.

I purchased a 30 day old MMF-5 for $350 and think it's a highly recommended entry level audiophile TT. The MMF-1 or 2 might be a good start at under $200.

Short of that I would use my Denon with new Grado Red cartridge which would fit your price point. Others will have good opinions. Just beware of used cartridges. Perhaps a low price decent table with new cart is the way to go unless you can hear the used cartridge.

In general belt drive is better but in your price range the Denon or Techniques might be the best value.

Thanks guys,

I think I will lean towards the Music Hall. The new MMF 2.1 has the option to upgrade to different carts without having to replace the tonarm. The 2.1 comes with a better cart also (Goldring).

Maybe I can score a used one if I look for a while.

Mike

• Like 1

"The new MMF 2.1 has the option to upgrade to different carts without having to replace the tonarm."

Just so you know, you can upgrade a cartridge to any turntable without having to replace a tonearm. Granted, most audiophile grade 'tables will let you also upgrade its original tonearm to a more expensive arm (and some 'tables from VPI and others don't even have arms...you have to buy one seperately). But as far as I know, there's no turntable that won't allow you to change cartridges.

From www.audioadvisor.com:

"The MMF-1 turntable comes with a fixed tonearm that is set up only for the Music Hall Magic cartridge. The tonearm is non-adjustable, and no other cartridge can be fitted on it."

"The MMF-2.1 turntable comes with a tonearm that has an adjustable VTA (vertical tracking angle) and can accommodate a wide range of cartridges. The tonearm bearings are also higher quality than those on the MMF-1. Consequently, "The MMF-2.1 does sound better than the MMF-1," according to Music Hall's Roy Hall.

• Like 1

For under $200, you might just be able to snare a Thorens TD 160 off Ebay. Beware that this is a great TT, but not for the faint of heart. Much adjustment and tweaking, while not absolutely required, can become the order of the day for wringing the last ounce of performance out. Otherwise you get a pretty decent tonearm and a TT that is built to last, and one that you can sell later when the upgrade hits and get most of what you paid for it back.

Depends on just how cheap you want to go. I have a Sony P4300 in my second system with a Stanton 681EEE for which I paid 25.00 at a garage sale. I've a much more "audiophile" system in my main, but the Sony still runs circles around a CD.

Certainly if you don't mind paying a bit more for an Music Hall or something it's a good idea, but if you are primarily CD and just want to take advantage of all that nearly free LP music out there, you won't be disappointed in any decent cartridge/table combo. Some of those Sony/Pioneer/whatever mainstream tables were quite highly regarded at the time. For most folks, they will harm neither your records or your ears.

Dave

"The MMF-1 turntable comes with a fixed tonearm that is set up only for the Music Hall Magic cartridge. The tonearm is non-adjustable, and no other cartridge can be fitted on it."

Guess I should've done more research before opening my mouth. That's a first for me...I never heard of a tonearm that won't accept any cartridge other than just one. And several years later when the stylus is worn and the cartridge can no longer be replaced, what then? Throw away the 'table? No thanks, I'll pass on the MMF-1.

My $800 Denon DP-62L came with the choice of 2 tonearms (a low-mass and a high-mass), and I've used audio-technica, Stanton, Sigma, and Sumiko Blue Point cartridges with it.

Thanks for the heads-up.

One of the best deals of all time was the Stanton GyroPoise. Just over a 100.00 in the 70's and came with a permanently mounted 681 cartridge. The stylus was replaceable. The platter was supported by opposing ring magnets and floated with only a spindle to hold it in place. It was belt drive. This unitized design made for a low cost TT that performed like $$$.

Dave

Mike-

I'd look into the Rega Planar series. I got a very nice P2 from one of the board members here, for $200, and it plays great. It has plenty of "upgradability" if you want to at some later point; change the tone arm (it does accept a number of different cartridges), upgrade the platter, etc. Besides, it would go good with your Planet. I've seen them for not a ton of $$ on Audiogon.

BTW, how are you enjoying Cheyenne?