New Center

Wiston

Heres the scoop.

I have....

La scala's - Mains

KV- 2 - Center

KSF-8.5 - Rears

SW-15 II - Woofer

As you probably notice my KV-2 is OK but it is just not cutting it. I have been looking for a Cornwall, Heresy or another La scala but no luck. ( price has played a big part)I can get a RC-3 for $200. I know a C-7 will be better yet but it is a lot more money. My question. Is the RC-3 that much better that the KV-2 in my system or will it be a $200 waste.

Thanks

HEY NEIGHBOR! Wiston,do yourself a favor and call Trey at Klipsch,in addition to recommendations from LaScala/

??center users.I can tell you this:almost any GOOD Klipsch center will sound better than the KV2.I've never heard the Scalas but I have owned many of the Klipsch centers.You'll get a lot for the $200.The correct timbre match is the key.Good luck in your quest!

Keith

There is a single Heresy on ebay that would work out for you if that is what you are interested in.

I saw it on there the other day, I hope it hasn't ended all ready.

Good Luck

------------------

Home Theater System:

Klipsch Quartets - mains for both systems

Klipsch KV3 - center

Klipsch KG.5's - rear surrounds

Klipsch KSW12 subwoofer

Denon AVR-1601

Music System:

Adcom GFA-555 Musical Concepts Modified

NAD 1600 Pre/Tuner

Sony C-67ES CD Player

Hey Wiston,I've got a brand new KLF-C7 in the exqusite Black Satin finish that I would consider trading.What about the exqusite C-7 and $10 for that old model SW15II of yours? Deal?

Keith

Keith,

I picked up an RC-3 today so I'm good now on a center.

I will never get rid of my SW15-II. That big old box will still rattle your eye balls in your head. I wounder if the new one will keep up with it or be even better? May be I should have gotten the KLF C-7? Has any one tryed both? And what did you think?

Thanks Wiston

Wiston, I really couldn't give you an educated answer. I'm sure many people reading this have a set-up like yours and have insight into the timbre match.Maybe they'll reply.It would be good to post this in the 2 channel forum.Can't blame you on the boom box.I'm glad to see Klipsch go back to that design and I'm sure they'll be impressive.BTW,what did you think of the RC-3/LaScala pairing?

Keith

i've never heard lascala guys, but have heard the khorn & gots the cornwall which i hear have the same tweet & mid horn as the la . also gots the rc-3 & c-7.

anyway, i would put the c-7 w/ any of the big heritage in a heartbeat over the rc-3.

the rc-3 is designed for the klipsch ref speakers & is not imho, with it's type horn, the better timbre match.

i'd even go as far to say that the rc-3 could be pretty well overwhelmed by the lascala. & please remember that on most movie dvd mixes, the center channel carries by far most of the sound (like around 80%).

the c-7 is recommended by klipsch for the cornwalls & cornwalls match to lascala so u know it's the ole if a=b & b=c then a=c thang. Smile.gif

wiston, in short, try out the rc-3, but i'd spend the additional couple hundred bucks for a c-7; but, that's me.

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front), KLF C-7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnects & Monster CX-2 biwire & Z-12 cable

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Sony DVP-C650D cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3 (front), RC-3, cheap little Technics (rear)

Monster MCX Biwires

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics direct drive turntable

Sega Genesis game player

Sub: None yet

rock on!

This message has been edited by boa12 on 05-18-2001 at 03:21 PM

I have bought both the RC-3 and, later, a new KLF C-7 (which are becoming hard to get)... I have kept the C-7 as the better match for my Legends. The RC-3 is an excellent center for its compact size and price. I suspect, however, that the new RC-7 will be an even better match for larger Klipsch speakers... and would hold out for the month or so it will take to get them into a Klipsch soundroom near you.

Patience may be a virtue for some but it's a necessity for the Klipsch consumer. Sleep.gif HornEd

------------------

"HornEd Herd"

Front Six Pack:

KLF 30's R&L + KLF C-7

KSW-15 Sub, SB-2 Effects

Side Surround:

KLF 30 on KSW-12 L/R

Rear Effects:

KLF 10 L/R

Rear Center:

KLF 10 atop KSW-12

Speaker Support Systems:

Mitsubishi RPHD1080i 65"

Yamaha RX-V3000 Receiver

... and counting!

ed, respectfully, be careful w/ that new rc-7 (or maybe the rs-7) as a cure-all voice/timbre match for non-Reference speaks.

of course, we haven't heard or got reviews on any of these new ref speaks, but from what i've seen written by the klipsch guys, the only real voice match for the rc-7 seems to be the rf-7. they were saying even for the rf-5 the best center match will be the ole rc-3, though the rc-7 looks ok there.

now it looks like the rs-7 (though klipsch seems to be recommending that only w/ other reference) & rsw subs may be ok for also both the heritage & legend lines. but as we know the surrounds match isn't as vital as that center.

but then again, maybe that's all been changed in the final voicing work on the rc-7(?) would think/hope the voicing's been finalized by now though.

for those wdst for our legends, s6 still look the ideal. however getting some is apparently less than ideal (well, except for keith Biggrin.gif

guess we'll see as we anxiously await those new ones. Eyes.gif

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front), KLF C-7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnects & Monster CX-2 biwire & Z-12 cable

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Sony DVP-C650D cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3 (front), RC-3, cheap little Technics (rear)

Monster MCX Biwires

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics direct drive turntable

Sega Genesis game player

Sub: None yet

rock on!

This message has been edited by boa12 on 05-18-2001 at 03:56 PM

I hear you, Boa. My gut feel is to order a pair of horns that match the KLF 30 and build a cabinet that directs them a good 180 and then add them in parallel to the KLF 30 surrounds. Somehow, there seems to be a chance that that would allow "verbal clue" dispersion with the punch of a KLF 30 on discrete.

While it is unlikely that a novice could come up with a really good sound... it would cost less than reaching for a Klipsch that couldn't.

Suddenly, my authorized Klipsch dealer isn't smiling. Hey, I just want something that really works and willing to pay. HornEd Tipsy.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I feel your pain, and in the same boat. I have the RC-3 and RS-3's to go with a pair of La Scalas and while I really can't complain I've always felt I could have done better. I'm hoping to get some good advice on how best to match up the La Scala, and if just getting an RF-3 for the front wouldn't be a better deal for the timbre matching on home theater. The La Scalas would be relegated to music only then. I don't want much; just everything.

------------------

Norman Short

Film Critic

DVD Verdict

http://www.dvdverdict.com/

if anyone is interested, i have a klf c-7 (black), about 8 mo old. Paid 350.00 for the bad boy. i want to replace it with a new rc-7, whenever they hit the street; i have all reference series speakers for my ht system, with the exception of the c-7. the c-7 seems to sound alright with these though. any takers, let me know, before it goes on ebay.

brian.

Norman, after reading the above encapsulated review of your LaScala situation... I think you have resolved your personal road to "everything." Enjoy! We need a positive DVD reviewer with a healthy Klipsch outlook. HornEd

------------------

"30 Something 6.1 Herd"

KLF 30 Mains

KLF 30 Modified Center

KLF 30 Surrounds

KLF 30 Rear Effects

SB-2 Front Effects

Subs: KSW-15 + 3 KSW-12's

Speaker Support Systems:

Mitsubishi RPHD1080i 65"

Yamaha RX-V3000 Receiver

... UNDER CONSTRUCTION!