Is it necessary to break in Klipsch speakers?

Bobcat979

The concern is understandable. You want your new babies to have the best of care.

We had a thread going some months ago. Part of the issue was whether performance changes with break-in. I was saying no. Then I found a reference from a good source saying that there may be some change. But any change probably takes place in the first hour.

On the other hand there is a notion out there borrowed from the piston motor industry. Let things run in at a low speed for a few hours, rings get seated, etc. I don't think that is applicable to speakers. OTOH, maybe the elastic material gets a bit more pliable, but there is no reason to think this goes on with any specific signal or level.

Further, there are some some sellers out there who would lead you to believe that the the signals on their CD's are necessary to break things in the right way. I believe this is nonsense.

Whether there is a change in performance is pretty moot. You have them and run them for a while, and they are what they are.

The other "angle" to break-in is that a salesman may say something like, "They'll sound better after they're broken in." There is a bit of good anecdotal evidence that we get used to the sound of the speakers over time, even used ones we buy which are certainly already broken in, and to our ears, they do sound better.

The bottom line is: Don't worry. Play some tunes. You're gonna love them.

Gil

The bottom line is: Don't worry. Play some tunes. You're gonna love them.

Gil

Love your simple yet dead on advice! At first, maybe play them at medium to low volumes... (Obviously do not turn your nob up to 10 and let it rip...LOL.) But I agree with Gil. Just enjoy them, and after say a while use them at different levels too. You might gradually turn them up and gradually down a few times... (Just to make sure the speakers and your amp can handle it.. And not neccessarily ALL the way up too.)

Roger

Hello.

I'm a believer of breaking in brand new speakers to a certain extent.

I, personally, wouldn't just pull them from the box and crank 'em up.

Rather, I would keep them in the box for about three month's and just ask silly questions.....J/K (inside joke.)

Seriously though, I would bring the volume up over the course of a whole day.

By evening, I would feel confident in checking the usable level of my amplifier on them. :)

Some feel that it's kooky nonsense.

And in some cases they may be right.

The relative differences in a loudspeakers' overall performance due to break in may be negligible.

OTOH It may not be.

Therein lies the great debates...

But that's another thread in another time. :)

IMHO. Just to give yourself some piece of mind for the future, go ahead and break them in as suggested above.

Use fairly dynamic music.

Something with some Ooomph.

BTW. Another belief I have concerns cable induction and how it relates to the charging of the dialectric.

Let us not forget the several feet of speaker wire within those cabinets.6.gif6.gif6.gif

It's not just about the surrounds and spiders. LOL

Whoops!