High-powered SET for Khorns!!!

jmslaw

Well, after weeks and weeks of comparing and contrasting some of the finest tube amps known to man, I have concluded that high-powered SET or even push-pull triode is the way to go.

I own the 2002 revised Khorns used with the following equipment: Conrad johnson Premier 16ls preamp; Jadis JS1/JD1 digital rig; Goldmund 39 player; Shanling SACD player; and the following amps:

CJ Premier 8A ;

CJ Premier 8xs (borrowed from friend);

Wavelength Cardinal x-1 (WE 300b);

Wellborne Laurel;

VAIC Valve 52b

All the above amps are monoblocks. The Wavelengths and Wellborne amps are 7-8 wpc each. The Cardinals produce a palpable midrange that is smooth as silk. The highs are nice and extended. The bass, while very tight does not have the impact or "slam" that I have experienced with the higher-powered CJ amps. The Wellbornes are similar in character as the Cardinals, but not as detailed nor as extended. Both the Wellbornes and Wavelengths produced very little noise on the highly sensitive Khorns.

The CJ8As really energize the room, perhaps too much so. The bass output pressurizes my 18x21 room such that one can feel the thwack of a drum through one's internal organs. The 8xs (triode version) is about 140 wpc (into 4 ohms) as compared to the 275 wpc of the 8A. The 8xs got all of the midrange purity of the Cardinals but added the missing slam factor that I crave on good rock SACDs and large-scale orchestral works. I must add, though, that both CJ amps produce audible tube hiss at idling, that while not too distracting is subtly noticeable. I had decided that the CJ 8xs amps were the ultimate match for the Khorns until I received my latest toys- THE VAIC 52Bs!! These SET amps use the 52b tube ( said to be a tweeked out 300b variant) and produce about 32 wpc. All of the bass extension and impact of the big CJs is there plus midrange purity and finesse with transients like I have never experienced.

What this evaluation has shown me is that the low-powered SETs, while producing a very sweet and detailed sound, fail to really excite the bottom-end of these speakers. On the other hand, a fantastic amp like the CJ 8As which retail for 17k are just too noisy for the Khorns and may be overkill in the lower octaves. I truly believe that more than 7-8 wpc is necessary for full-scale effect, and a quality high-powered SET is the way to go. Now I have to start unloading my amp collection before my wife divorces me!

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the post jeff, though kelly is right it should be in two channel where more people will get the benefit of your insights. Sounds to me like my 2A3 PP amplfier might be just what you are looking for...about a dozen watts of DHT goodness. maybe you should contact JFL and see if he would come out of semi-retirement to build you a pair of monoblocks...regards, tony