kylaxi

I have the following components:

Front speakers : sf1

Surround speakers: sf1

center : sc1

subwoofer : ksw10

pioneer 343 dvd and a ps2

onkyo 595 av/receiver.

Was it a good choice to have 4 speakers like the sf1's as front and as surround speakers?

Sometimes i am not very pleased with the sound quality of my home theater system and feel that I paid too much for a mediocre home theater system...

If I want to upgrade my system what should I replace first?

Are these components good enough to buy better cables to get better sound/picture quality?

I still need a tv any advise?

Having had an Onkyo receiver I would recommend that being the first place to start your upgrade path. I was very unhappy with my Onkyo 797 and could not dump it off fast enough.

I have heard the exact speakers on a Denon and a B&K and I was impressed. Give them a chance with a different receiver or seperates.

the cable issue is one with 2 sides. I have been please with the radio shack line. The are affordable and of decent construction. Recommend not going hog wild on Monster or another expensive brand, I think you will get more out of having a tv and/or new receiver rather than $500 in cables.

My approach to a tv was buy a mediocre TV, and after all my other components were purchased start the searchfor a nice big Tv or projector.

scott

I agree. Not to knock onkyo, but i found it to be a horrible match with my klipsch. I very briefly owned a 898(i could be wrong on the number). The best way i can describe the sound is sterile and lifeless. i dont know if that makes sense,but thats the best way i can describe it. I switched to denon(3801) and couldnt be happier.

funny? my son has the 797 reciever for his ht/gaming, he runs 2 rf 5's and 2 rf 3's an rc 7 and a ksw 12, and it sounds amayzing, especially for a 14 year olds system, but the synergy is entry level, go from there, and if you want spend some time on e bay, you could pick up 1 set of heresies that would outshine the entire synergy lineup12.gif

Hi Mark,

The DS797 was used for Halo and NHL 2003. I was impressed with the sound and that is why I opted to use it for the HT. When it came to music and movies I could not stand it nor could my friends. The Pioneer accents the highs so in a shooter game the bullet shells sound incredible.

Since my ears seem to hear a difference I would love to give the onkyo and RF5s a try.

I personally like the sf1 and sf2. When positioned correctly and with a Yammy I think they sound great and would be a great start in the HT road.

Scott

Thank you for the advise.

But another problem here in the netherlands is that this "higher quality" home theater is rather expensive..

I paid $2400 for the speakers and the av/receiver.. (1 1/2 year ago)

buying say rf3's as an upgrade will cost $525 each...

i have run my sons speaks with a small variety of downstream, basically becally because they were my first venture into klipsch, except for sony i loved everything i threw at them. it is naturally the klipsch, all had thier own personality, all had weak points, strengths, eventually i stayed with onkyo in the begining because of customer support, i have heard onkyo described as lifeless? too bright? both ends of the spectrum, so it again goes back to the individual listener, my son also is dedicated to halo, and the described efects we also hear when i listen, especially since as we all know most of the sound in dd comes from the center (rc 7), each to his own, all i am really convinced of is that we all hear differently, and to get exactly what we need in our ht's we need to do plenty of auditioning, i used to despise denon, for no other reason than customer support, sound was good, not exceptional, but at the time they seemed to be going through a few manufacturing problems, and as with the rotel gear i used to run i took it all back, because of lack of customer support. for myself, my requirements are sound quality, plus customer support, there are so many components in our gear now adays that we need to have a well built well supported machine, sony denon and rotel, all once purchased, all but told me " its now your problem" but in dealing with them i have become a better trouble shooter12.gif

Kylaxi,

Welcome to the hobby...get out now because you will never be happy with your system9.gif . I have been through three systems in 2 years. The problem starts when I try to be "cheap" (no harm intended) and am not happy with the results. I dare say that if I would have purchased the system I have now from the getgo I may have saved several thousand dollars.

Marksdad,

Did I misread your post. I didn't think the 797 and RF-5's had been around for 14 years.

I also had an Onkyo 797. I added a 5 channel external amp that really cleaned the power and gave the system Umph. I did find the system to be lacking in detail which is why I now have a Yamaha. The Onkyo and amp is now setup in my bedroom with RF-3's, RC-3, Denon sub, and Polk RTi-80's. Not too shabby for a bedroom system9.gif

----------------

On 8/14/2003 8:09:34 AM PhilMays wrote:

Kylaxi,

Welcome to the hobby...get out now because you will never be happy with your system
9.gif
; I have been through three systems in 2 years; The problem starts when I try to be "cheap" (no harm intended) and am not happy with the results I dare say that if I would have purchased the system I have now from the getgo I may have saved several thousand dollars.

----------------

Phil,

Glad to see I wasn't the only one to suffer the pain of starting out. I love the hobby but it is tough to find friends to make such an investment on A/V gear. I love the music and movie experience. But having been through ceveral sustems in under 2 years I wish I did not try to save a penny here and there and jsut went big from the start.

I truly think people should focus on buying 1 thing at a time. For instnace instead of buying the complete 7.1 system buy the RF7 and a sub. later buy the rest.

buy big and don't look back.

Scott