Breakin Period and db volume

MotorHead

Here's a couple real rookie questions:

First, my Kenwood 7080 uses a db scale for volume. It runs from about -48 to +13. At 0db, it's pretty much rockin'! What does this scale mean, if anything, in terms of power output?

Second, My new R3 system (2-RF3II's, 2-RS3II's, RC3II and KSW12) was delivered this week, and I've pretty much ignored the breakin period. I haven't knocked any pictures off the wall, but close. How much trouble am I in? (sorry, but I shouldn't have put on Momentary Lapse of Reason...my finger simply ignored my pleas to stop raising the volume!!)

(I did post this question in another thread, but I don't think it was relevant to that forum, so I thought I'd try it here)

Thanks!

The indicators on your volume knob are mostly just relative indications to give you some idea of where you are on the power spectrum for that unit. In essence, I believe, it is saying that you are either attenuating the pre-amp signal into the amp portion of the receiver (the - db numbers) or you are boosting the signal (the + db numbers). At 0, the pre-amp is running its standard level into the amp section - no boost or attenuation.

Forget about break-in. Just listen to them, and don't hurt yourself.

DD

The +/- db markings on your dial men nothing because the manufacturer is incapable of knowing the sensitivity rating of your or anyone else's speakers. At best the 0 db rating may represent the manufacturer's best guess as to the point at which the amp might reasonably be expected to be putting out 50% power driving speakers of ordinarilly expected sensitivity ( 90db/watt/metre ).

Simply set the amp to what sounds best to you and rock and roll !

Actually, +3 dB should mean that the amp is putting out twice as much power as at 0 dB. -3 dB half as much power. Doesn't have anything to do with speaker sensitivity or SPL. It is just a way of indicating relative power.

In any case, just enjoy your speakers.