Klipschorns Type C

Flason

Flason, those should clean up quite easily. Just disassemble the HF from the LF sections, sand them out, stain 'em up and then put a clear coat on last. You can order some grill cloth from Klipsch or another third party, and some Klipsch logos (from Klipsch), and you're good to go!

Regrilling them is easy if you have an electric staple gun and a little time.

Don't forget to add the "toe kick" trim strip on the bottom of each bin. It protects the face from vacuum cleaners, etc. Also gives it a finished look.

When I did mine, I left a detailed description in the "Updating Older Speakers" section, circa 2/2002.

Thanks for the info Chris. If mine turn out half as nice as your's did, I will be satisfied. Would like to find some pie slice logo's from my speakers era. At least I think they were pie slice at that time. I had some grill cloth from Mike Lindsey a couple of years ago but used it on my Hersey's. Glad to see he came back to the board. I will start on the Khorns as soon as I get the garage cleaned out, next week sometime. I think a light sanding will bring back the Khorns to looking new. Then a light coat of stain, medium oak, and a satin polyeuethane finish to complete the woodwork. Of course there still is the tweeter replacement, or should I say diaphram replacement and a through woofer check and I will be in business.

Very impressive indeed. What a deal...within driving distance, spending some quality time with your son, and bringing home a pair of vintage Khorns for a song! They're in better looking shape than I imagined, and once you clean 'em up and refinish them, and find new tweeter diaphrams, then you'll be wondering how you've been listening to music for so long without Klipschorns! Good times are a'comin'!

----------------

On 8/17/2003 7:03:49 PM Flason wrote:

I think a light sanding will bring back the Khorns to looking new. Then a light coat of stain, medium oak, and a satin polyeuethane finish to complete the woodwork.

----------------

You probably saw this from my other post on the "Updating Older Speakers" forum, but don't forget to "condition" the fir after sanding (before ANY stain goes down). Fir and birch are soft woods and absorb stain at different rates in even a small area (1' x 1'). Without the pre-conditioner, you'll run the very probable risk of blotchy stain absorption. Some areas will be darker than other.

Anyway, $4 at Home Depot for the wood conditioner product (Minwax carries one, but any brand will do) is money well spent. Just brush it on, let it sit for a few minutes, towel off, and then apply the stain while the wood is still damp. Works like a charm!