Klipschorns Type C

Flason

Does anybody have pics of the type C Klipschorn? I am within driving distance to the '69 pair advertised here and will be heading over Saturday, but I want to make sure I really like them first. Plus, I need a little help in trying to decypher the code. The known letters are K(Klipschorn),C(Type C), and R(Raw\Unfinished). What exactly is the F? If it were a B it would be birch. Appreciate any help.

----------------

On 8/15/2003 4:59:00 AM Flason wrote:

Still wonder what that mystery letter "F" means though.

----------------

F is for Flason! Obviously meant for you!!

Pretty nice garage cabinets there, Mr. Robinson!! Oh, nice speakers, too.

fini

----------------

Pretty nice garage cabinets there, Mr. Robinson!! Oh, nice speakers, too.

fini

----------------

Good one! Actually, those were the kitchen cabinets before we totally gutted the kitchen ... I moved them to the basement to have a work area.

Thanks for the compliments on the speakers. The one on the left was as I received them, the one on the right was after a total refurb. It was fun but a bit of work.

I'm sitting here listening to my '81 LaScalas with AA X-over's via my Scott 299C wondering if it could get any better than this? I guess I will find out tomorrow. I will still take a pic or two and post them here.

Also meant to say: Thanks for everyone's input.

Not a bad 170 mile ride down to Naples. Averaged 85mph and had a good conversation with my son, so it wasn't too long. Now for the Klipschorns.

No doubt that they are 34 years old. They must have been sitting unused for quite a while. When I got there, they had nothing set-up for playing them as they were in the process of moving. I planned ahead and brought my HK730, a portable cd player, and some speaker wire. Visual inspection showed the wood was in overall "good" condition with some sort of 15" circle where the woofer is placed on one of them. It looks like some type of circle decoration was taped to the wood and that "spot" didn't fade as the rest of the wood around it. There was the typical oxidation around horns of that age, nothing out of the ordinary but by no means kept in pristine condition. There was no grill anywhere on the speakers and unlike the decorator models, didn't have the Klipsch logo on the wood itself. The top part where the grill should be was also painted black, still leading me to believe that these had grills at one time. Examined the bottoms and they seemed to be free of any type of water damage. I think a light sanding, stain, and varnish would spruce these up nice.

Hooked up the HK and put on the Peter Gabriel CD "Shaking The Tree". I feel that this disc can adequately check the entire frequency spectrum, even the real low stuff. Quickly noticed that the treble was lacking something. Upon further inspection, I found the tweeter completely dead. Did a little troubleshooting while I was there and connected the tweet leads to the squaker, and the tweet was still silent. This was also the story with the other speaker. Also heard a rattling with the bass on both speakers. Opened the door but with just visual inspection, the woofer looked fine. The squaker sounded fine and overall the speakers themselves sounded good, but not great.

I guess this is where I start to barter as I went on this trip expecting them to sound awesome but look a little rough. What I got was just the opposite. Well, he was asking $700 for them. I knew if I waited patiently I could find some really nice ones for around $1K. They are out there. I have heard the stories. I also knew that I didn't want to spend $40 in gas for a conversation with my son. So just for the hell of it, I offered $400 and he accepted. I didn't expect that and I wasn't trying to take advantage because I'm thinking of replacement costs of the tweeters and woofers, let alone my time refinishing them. I loaded them into my Trooper and brought them back home. They sit in the garage right now as they are my next project. I will return to many of you all and ask for help in acquiring parts for these monsters very soon.

Earlier in the week I called him twice and got no answer. I was going to offer him $500, site unseen. I was planning on a nice 1000+ mile ride down with my son and an even longer ride back. (in a hurry to give them a listen)

Congrats and have fun. I know it will be worth it. I will just have to keep looking. My day will come.

There is a guy on E-bay that sells replacement diaphrams, hes a great guy, hes here on the BB as well, get a set and replace them, its easy!

Bobby Crites E-bay name Bcrites i think!

E-mail Bec LOL!

I just sold my tweeters sorry, a great price too!

BUT i have another option for you!

Contact jellis@ucar.edu, he might have some tweeters, maybe even woofers i dont know!

Wouldnt hurt to ask, im glad you got those at $400.00, even in the condition there in, they are easy to work on, the only thing i might have a problem with, would be dismantiling the K-55-V!

Other than that i know them inside and out!

Also ask John Ellis about grill cloth, he found a good source!

Hes my bud, so dont hesitate to ask ok!

Post a pic, and let me know how it goes ok!

Regards Jim

9.gif