Veneering one down one to go

3dzapper

Zapper OMG! Change that old yellowed stiff original lamp cord on those things will you. Even if you replace it with newer equivalent wire. I know a guy on eBay that has 10 gauge in three colors for $0.25 a foot. I rewired my (3) La Scala's with it and wired the main five HT speakers with it as well. It is high quality wire at a killer price! Figured while you were at it.

I rewired the woofer with 12ga Monster Wire but left the mid and hi wires the same. I don't want to feed them too much or treat them too well, they will get too fat! I did clean all the ends though. Some say to put even smaller wire on to attenuate them.

Rick

I used Weldwood Gel Formula contact cement and a solid roller about two inches wide. With my 250lbs it had plenty of force.

I put two coats of cement on all the new wood to seal the grain and one coat on the birch. I also glued on the edging. I did not like the bond with the preapplied iron on adhesive on my sample project, a pair of KG1.2s.

Rick

Thanks Rick,

Did you have to strip your Khorns to get a good bond with the contact cement? Did you have to do any surface preparation?

My Khorns are oak oil and I have thought about veneering my LaScala's to match them, they are black lacquer. If I had to strip them it would be too much of a hassle.

Greg

I tried disposable foam brushes but the glue ate them for lunch, so I bought a handful of 99cent bristle brushes at Lowes and used those.

I just finished the second horn this AM and am listening now.The Greatful Dead, Chicago and Alan Jackson sound great after a week off! Oh yea, my wife is even pleased with my labors.

Rick

Thanks for the invite Greg but I'll have to pass. Don't worry you can do it. This was my first time ever with veneer. I practiced on a sheet of plywood so I could test finishes then the old bookshelf speakers, a bit rough but I learned, then the sub before the big project.

I bought raw veneer off ebay but it is easier to use sheet veneer here is a good site to look at:

http://www.tapeease.com

Here is a pic of the second Khorn.

Rick

post-12829-13819248797796_thumb.jpg