A Simple Circuit

Deang

Ryan,

exactly when are you going to realise that I do not need any information from you and I really get sick of you posting telling me things I already know *^%R(&_^(_

It doesn't make any sense in this day and age to ever use a Ma meter unless you insert it IN THE CIRCUIT.

Craig

The only problem I have had with the bigger amps of this nature is in the subtlty department and some seem to sound more mechanical and like "amplifiers."

Well, that is the trade off. OTOH, there is nothing "subtle" about Rock and Alternative, and the attributes you are thinking of I believe are for the most part of minor consequence with these music types, and probably more beneficial than not. At least, in my opinion.

Ironically, there were no "problems" with the Quicksilvers -- I loved them. I could have kept those in my system forever. However, I just couldn't resist the temptation to up the ante some.

After many, many hours of reading, and after a multitude of conversations with Craig regarding what he thought were the minimum requirements of a good push-pull design -- I started looking. Landing on these prompted an email to Mark Deneen who gave Bruce Moore the nod.

I wanted the full monty, executed by a well established push-pull designer -- respected by all, with a history of producing good stuff. Even Joe Rosen seems to like his work -- and these things combined made it a comfortable purchase.

Yes, the board looks "busy" -- but much cleaner looking than the rats nest I saw in a pair of MFA-200's. The board and parts are of the best quality -- and I get lot's of warm fuzzies when I look at it.

Marantz 9 huh? Yeah, a simply amazing resemblance. I'd never seen a Marantz 9 before, and having read so much about the 8B -- never even knew there was such a thing as a Marantz 9. Since I don't know much about how amplifiers really work from an engineering standpoint, I have no idea if there is any true resemblence in internal makeup however. A schematic is forthcoming...eventually.

I do know there are some things "unique" to the design, and know that the iron is based on the Citation II's.

I'm not going to say anything about the sound until I've actually had time to listen -- which I haven't. I'm working like a fiend right now, and not until next week sometime will I actually be able to settle in and evaluate it. It would also be nice if I could do it with the preamp I specifically chose to run with this thing -- and it's not here yet.

I was wondering what you've been up to. 6922 driving KT88s sounds like a nice combination .. big, but nice. Do you know anything about the circuit and options (I forgot to re-read your description of the switch)?

Don't forget you can use 4 Ohms out and flatten the impedance variations with a resistor. Now that I've had some experiance with real speaker impedance variation problems the RF-7s strike me as a relatively easy tube load.

Looking foreward to your listening report.

leok

Hey, it's just a little 70 wpc push-pull. I'm sure to be using the resistors on the outputs just like I did on the Quicksilvers -- which will take me to 35 watts. If I decide to wire them in triode, I'll be down to 17 watts. At that point, a SET user with K-horns will have more output than me. Those high power freaks -- I have no idea how to deal with them.1.gif

No schematic yet, so I actually know very little about the thing, other than the iron either is, or was patterned after the Citation II. The two user selectable switches tailor the feedback according to which taps one is running off of.

Bruce Moore uses tubes as power supply decouplers and voltage stabilizers. I don't know how it is done though. Since the 6922 is a twin triode, he may be using one side as the driver and the other side to perform the decoupling and stablizer functions. He could also be only using two tubes to drive the KT-88's -- Like the AE-25 DJH.