Jumped into deep end of the SACD pool today...

No Disc

Tim,

I don't know .. I know I don't know.

The kind of trouble that the Philips gets into at the high end is just as likely to be a system asked to do what other players don't ask, as it is a characteristic of the disk player itself. The Philips player may be simply a more demanding device and other flaws in the system become apparent. I would not be surprised if Sony rolls off the highs just so systems don't get into trouble, thus preventing possible blame assigned to the player.

On the other hand, the Sony may simply be doing a better job at the high end.

Tough call

leok

• 6 months later...

Bump - Back from the past.

Well, it looks like I'm going to take my 777es to the next level. I've ordered today about $1100 worth of parts for my Richard Kern (Audiomod) upgrade.

Reading reports on AA from owners that have taken this step say nothing but fantastic things about these mods.

Although I only use my player for SACD, I am hopeful that the redbook performace will improve to a level where I can ditch my Cary 308 player, which will help offset the cost of this upgrade.

Here is what is being done:

Audio Board Cap Kit (Blackgates)

Transport_Board_Cap_Kit (Blackgates)

45.1584 Mhz Superclock 2

Audio Consulting's Signal Coupling Transformer (Bypassing the Sony analog section)

Removing some PS Chokes

I paid $1500 for this player, and am putting another $1500 into it. So at $3000 I will have somewhere near the top of what is considered the high-end for SACD performace. It will be very close to what is heard in the well regarded Meitner ($12000)

There goes my tax refund.... heh.

- tb

• 5 weeks later...

What happened here?

----------------

On 3/18/2004 6:17:02 PM tbabb wrote:

Bump - Back from the past.

Well, it looks like I'm going to take my 777es to the next level. I've ordered today about $1100 worth of parts for my Richard Kern (Audiomod) upgrade.

Reading reports on AA from owners that have taken this step say nothing but fantastic things about these mods.

Although I only use my player for SACD, I am hopeful that the redbook performace will improve to a level where I can ditch my Cary 308 player, which will help offset the cost of this upgrade.

Here is what is being done:

Audio Board Cap Kit (Blackgates)

Transport_Board_Cap_Kit (Blackgates)

45.1584 Mhz Superclock 2

Audio Consulting's Signal Coupling Transformer (Bypassing the Sony analog section)

Removing some PS Chokes

I paid $1500 for this player, and am putting another $1500 into it. So at $3000 I will have somewhere near the top of what is considered the high-end for SACD performace. It will be very close to what is heard in the well regarded Meitner ($12000)

There goes my tax refund.... heh.

- tb
----------------

The unit came back a few days ago. I won't know the full sonic benifts for about another two weeks. Richard Kern mentioned about 3 weeks for a complete burn in.

Below are the replaced parts. Note the tiny tiny master clock top left of photo.

leftover.jpg

Immediate impressions - Much more transparent, quicker transients, better dynamics (high to low), more air around all instruments. As the unit breaks in again, I expect to hear better low level details. All around very positive results.

Congrats Tim. I love my 2 555ES units. TOC load time is not quite 30 seconds but at least 10. I hear the 777 is even better and with the mods should be remarkable. Let us know how it breaks in.

Max,

I'd also be interested in some of your SACDs, especially classical which I assume most of yours are! PM me with a list if you still have some you want to sell.

I just clocked the TOC on the 555. 6 seconds. Seems longer. I guess sony has made some progress there. My downstairs gear is in a different room then the speakers. Gives me just enough time to get to the sweet spot before the CD starts playing.

I'll also be interested in the final review with the mods. At some point I want to upgrade my DVD player in the HT, and have researched the Modwright and Wright Sound mods to the Denon DVD 2900 and 5900. Pretty pricey from Wright, but if it can make a big difference...question is, would I be able to notice it?

----------------

On 4/19/2004 12:08:48 PM jhawk92 wrote:

I'll also be interested in the final review with the mods. At some point I want to upgrade my DVD player in the HT, and have researched the Modwright and Wright Sound mods to the Denon DVD 2900 and 5900. Pretty pricey from Wright, but if it can make a big difference...question is, would I be able to notice it?

----------------

That's a question you should pose to the modders themselves. They might have customer feedback from those that have already had their units modded.