amps and speakers

ballenone

I have a 7.1 surround that i am running with harmonkardon amps my speakers are mains rf-7s center rc-7 rb-3s and rf-3II in back .. my amps are 2 pa 2000s bridged and by amped to my rf-7s and a signature 2.1 5 channel powering the rest ..so my first question is if i should change amps and get something more powerfull cause it sounds good but in the back its not quite as loud as the front but the front rf-7s are bi amped backs are not so i can get another signature 2.1 and by amp the back but im not sure if that would make a diffrence or not??if new amps are needed what would be a good choice for a good price.. also should i change my rb-3s and rf-3IIs for rs-7s which i think is a little to much money for the range you get tmo
3.gif

what preamp are you running into your amps right now?....

with your speakers, you should have no problem with volume unless the preamp signal is alot lower for your rear channels....

i am running a dynaco tube amp at 17 watts per channel for my mains and my center and surrounds are at 90 watts per channel (solid state amp).... and it all blends together very nicely....(actually pretty awesome!!!)

I had a similar problem. The problem is the effeciency difference between the 7's and 3's. I solved my problem by by purchasing a cheap SP meter from Radio Shack. Basically what you will do is adjust your sp levels to make up for the difference. Not alot of adjustment needs to be made unlike if a person has mismatched speakers like Klipsch and Polk running together that would require major adjustment.

I also tried my hand at Bi-amping even if running two channels on one speaker is not true bi-amping. For me it simply wasn't worth the expense for the minimal gains. The Yamaha product is extremely clean power and 130 watts is all my speaker need to really sing. However if I were to outboad amp again in the future I would get some sort of high quality 200 watt amp and simply single amp each speaker.

Marksdad,

I know I shouldn't ask this as it is pointing down a road I don't need to go right now (still recovering from WAF and SVS) BUT...

As far as HT goes, how do the 7's outperform the 3-II's. I only heard the 5's compared to the 3's as the 7's were outside the showroom and not hooked up (probably a good thing for the ole wallet) and I liked the sound of the 3's over the 5's, the 5's seemed to have a seperation between the horn and woofers.

you are probably right, for your wallet i mean, if you had made a head to head on the 3's-7's, you would have gone 7's. i originally bought 3's as sats, and 5's as fronts, and i have no complaints about any of klipsch's reference series, but the 7's. they are in a different catagory, faster, better soundstage, more natural. you know you are listening to quality when you are listening to 7's, i believe they were voiced after the cornwall. anyway the 3's as sats work really well because of the full range performance, they really mate well with the 7's, but the rb's are limited, really good for smaller 2 channel, or smaller ht's, but mixing in with rf 7's? you will always find them to be lagging, no matter how you adjust, they will lag. weak point. since there is no current pure 7.1 format you would do better getting 1 more rc 7 and running 6.1, matrixing will always be just that, matrixing, taking 1 channel and splitting it, i did it, found that i should have saved the money, and purchased 1 better speaker(2 rc 3's as opposed to 1 rc 7), 1 better is better than 2 lessor12.gif