Center Channel for RB5

Molasses

Long time lurker and Klipsch owner since 1985. Currently running RB5's for fronts and rears with no center channel. Planned on getting a RC3II but they are now hard to come by. My question is; Should I go into panic mode now and try to track down a RC3II before they are all gone or is the RC35 voice matched to the RB5's? Thanks

I do not like sealed RC3 or the second version center channel speakers.Sounds congested at very high SPL.

If you can spare a few $$$ get the RC7,the REAL Klipsch Reference center channel speaker,or the new RC35 sound quite good and costs little.

Probably has to sit on top of a TV.

Thats the reason I would need a conventional center speaker. I have a RPTV and it would sound funny if the center was next to the TV and would be in the way obviously directly in front of the TV and be weird and too unstable to place on top of a TV. Also, doesn't a regular center channel speaker give more soundspace then a bookshelf type?

James

----------------

On 8/24/2003 1:31:35 AM dougdrake wrote:

----------------

On 8/23/2003 1:34:08 PM Molasses wrote:

I would prefer a conventional center.
----------------

May we ask why?
:)

----------------

Looks. A RB5, even on it's side, just doesn't look right to me. I've tried.

Your RB-5 use a 1" titanium dome compression driver tweeter with a 6" square 90° x 60° Tractrix Horn.

You don't want a RC-3 because it uses a smaller 5" square 90° x 60° Tractrix Horn, but you don't want a RC-7 because it uses a much larger 1.75" titanium dome compression driver tweeter with a 8" square 90°x60° Tractrix Horn.

Surprising enough, you should get the new RC-35 because it uses a 1" titanium dome compression driver tweeter with a 6" square 90° x 60° Tractrix Horn.

----------------

On 8/25/2003 9:12:22 AM Molasses wrote:

Looks. A RB5, even on it's side, just doesn't look right to me. I've tried.

----------------

So then you are putting this on top of a TV or bookshelf where space is limited?

I think its better to use the a Center Speaker Type of speaker.

The main reason for me is you can angle the Center speaker towards the viewers. My TV is quite tall, my sofas are kind low and you have a leg (screw with rubber foot) that angles the speakers towards the sofa. I guess you could do that with a Bookshelf too, but the Klipsch reference Centers have this built in already. Its improved the ability of my center to fit in better with the rest of the system.

James