cd player

donziman

I've had a Denon DCM-370 5-disk for the past 3 years and it has served me well. They were $300 new when I purchased mine, I believe now Denon sells the DCM-380 which appears to be essentially the same unit with integrated mp3 decoding.

It supports HDCD. With the onset of the SACD(2)/DVD-A war I don't think HDCD is going anywhere, but anecdotally some of my HDCD compatible disks sound really good, others sound less impressive than well recorded redbook disks.

I don't have experience with many different units like some people here, but I do know I've been fully satisfied with mine.

----------------

On 8/24/2003 4:03:06 PM donziman wrote:

I do have a denon reciver but the denon 380 only has coaxel for output. which is better optical or digital coaxel

----------------

I've switched back and forth between optical or coaxial. Ultimately stayed with coaxial because it gives me a bit of a "fatter" sound with Klipschs. Be sure you use high quality coaxial cables to tell a difference.

Harmon Kardon AVR 525

Mains: RF3II

Center: RC35

Surrounds: RS35

Rear: KLF-C7

Front Sub: HSU VTF-2

Rear Sub: SVS 20-39 PCi

Sony CD Changer C69ES

Toshiba DVD

Magnavox 36" TV

Carl G.

Many people have debated this question before and neither one stuck out to be dominate. Both are digital and to my ears sound the same. If you can here a difference you have owl ears or your mind is just making the decision for you. I agree with the 370. I have the 270 (a gift) and love it. I wish I have the 370 for the digital output. Never listened to the 380 but I'm sure they didn't decrease their quality. The 370 retailed at stores for 300 but that price is negotiable and you can most likely find a cheaper one on the internet.