Help with a center channel

harbolt

Hello. I currently have a pair of Klipsch Forte II speakers along with a pair of Klipsch KG-1 being used as my rear speakers. When I bought these speakers many years ago, I did not buy a center channel to go with them. I am now looking for a center channel that will best match this speaker setup. Can anyone help with this? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am finding that a lot of center channel speakers don't match up to my awesome Forte IIs. Please email me at harbolt@comcast.net with any help you can give. Thanks in advance.

Brent

Brent-

If you are short on space, then go find an Academy as that is the best "compact" match to the Forte II. However, those are hard to find and seem to be commanding even more outrageous prices on eBay as of late; a beautiful OO Academy just went for $675!

If you are not willing to go that high, then you could certainly look at a KV-3. I had one for my HT for nearly 8 years before I got the Academy and it does quite well between the Forte IIs. You only lose a bit of the seamless front soundstage, and if you don't know yet what is missing, then you can be well served by the KV-3.

If you can swing the room, then certainly another Forte II is even better. Or, if your receiver allows, set it to "phantom" for center and then adjust your Fortes correctly and you will hear a phantom center image. I can do that with my Chorus IIs and it's pretty cool. But certainly you have a great system so far.

----------------

On 8/25/2003 1:21:15 PM jhawk92 wrote:

If you are short on space, then go find an Academy as that is the best "compact" match to the Forte II. However, those are hard to find and seem to be commanding even more outrageous prices on eBay as of late; a beautiful OO Academy just went for $675!

----------------

Holy smokes! $675? Wow ... I paid $600 for my walnut-oil Belle center.

But what the heck, if it sounds good and you're so inclined, caveat emptor.

Actually, I am not so inclined as there is no way I want to pay that for a center channel. And for that matter, a massivevly huge center channel to boot! Me, and my center channel, would end up on the front lawn after my wife got through with me. I think I will look for the KV-3. A lot less expensive and smaller. Anyone have one for sale or know where I can get one? Thanks.

Brent

Chris-

Yeah, that's a huge chunk for an Academy. Granted, it's a great speaker, but spending that kind of dough on a single speaker when it's not a fully loaded horn speaker seems kinda crazy. Maybe the fever will die down sometime and they'll get back to normal prices.

Brent-

I wasn't suggesting to get you in trouble with the wife...that's a bad thing to have happen. Keep an eye out on eBay or Audiogon (www.audiogon.com) as they show up there pretty regularily. On eBay, figure to spend $200-250 for a black one in mint condition. The oak or walnut ones are more rare and command a bit of a premium, but I don't think I've seen any KV-3 go there for more than $300.