Home and Auto woofers

FreeRadical

What are the differences between car and home woofers?

I have 2 12" JL Audio woofers driven by a JL Audio amp in one of my cars and 2 12" Rockford Fosgate woofers driven by a MTX amp in my other car. Both sound great. I only have an 8" sub in my home theater that has to fill a huge area with sound. I live in Florida and they build houses very open here. We have 13' ceilings and the living room, dining room, kitchen, and breakfast room are all one beig open area. I'm looking into getting a 12" woofer for my home theater.

Is one 12" woofer too small to fill this type of space? Do I need 2 woofers in the home theater to get nice bass in such a large area?

IMHO 2-12" woofers is not enough to produce much bass in anything except maybe your car, van or a small bedroom. But hey.....'to each his own'

2.gif

Auto woofers are not efficient, it takes twice the volume as a standard, good efficient woofer!

Also powered subwoofers, boost the bass in there own setting, so it stays well above the home speakers, in power output!

Which also makes the bass in home theater!

It would be the same as Bi amping a speaker, have a 8 watt tube on the top end, and a 100 watt SS amp on the woofers, same results!

Enhanced bass response!

Now you could easily, get a home subwoofer amp, and build a box, with an auto JBL woofer, and have a sub, this is what i did, i used a CRATE 18 inch woofer, with the RP-3 amp, it kicked out some bass, this was a bass guitar woofer!

Regards Jim9.gif

• 2 weeks later...