Nice high power triode push-pull monoblocks on ebay

Guy Landau

No I haven't, Though I always seem to be atracted to these beasts.

Look what Arthur Salvatore has to say about them:

ALTEC 1570/TUTAY MODIFICATION

This "vintage" Altec is a fantastic amplifier. It could be the "dream" amplifier for many audiophiles. I didn't list it immediately because of the many hurdles to get an optimized working pair and the potential danger in using them. Let's discuss the sonics first, and then tackle the rest.

This amplifier, after it is fully modified, can compete with virtually any push-pull amplifier in the world. It uses only two 811A direct heated triode output tubes, but it can still generate over 150 watts per channel. It has a very high quality power supply with chokes, tube rectification, separate input and output supplies etc. The end result is a combination of tremendous power along with a lot, but not all, of the purity and transparency of the single-ended designs.

Other "high-power" tube amplifiers, that use multiple output tubes (8, 12, 16, or 20 per channel-especially pentodes) to create their power, can not compete with this simpler (and much less expensive) design. As usual, it is at its best with high-impedance loads, but it can still sound excellent in normal impedance loads as well, though it is not recommended with very low impedances.

Now for the inevitable "hurdles":

1. The original Altec 1570 series of amplifiers were designed and built for "commercial" and "industrial" applications; The military, sports stadiums, factories, auditoriums etc. They are very reliable of course, and are also downright ugly in appearance. There may have been many made 40 years ago, but now they are difficult to find. Their sonics, stock, are horrible. They sound "dirty" and have no bass. So they must also be modified.

2. There are very few people who can modify these amplifiers. The person who has the most experience, and has achieved the finest results we've heard, is Tom Tutay, a talented engineer who lives and works in Florida (Go to "Links" section to contact him).

So after a pair of these are found in good condition, they must be sent to Tutay for his (very extensive) update. I don't know the most recent cost, and there are some options, but it will cost at least $ 3,000, or more. Considering the enormous amount of work involved, this is a very fair price. The total cost, including the amplifiers themselves and all the shipping, will be in the $ 5,000 range, unless you can "score" on the Altecs.

To put things in perspective, if such an amplifier were built and marketed new in today's market, it would sell for a minimum of $ 10,000 and probably around $ 15,000 or more.

3. After all the above has been done, there is another important issue to ponder. The reason why these amplifiers can generate so much power with only two output tubes is simple; there is more than 900 volts DC on the plates. This voltage itself comes from the rare, high voltage power transformer, which has somewhat louder than average "mechanical noise". (The extra expense and difficulty in finding and utilizing very high voltage components is the primary reason why contemporary amplifier manufacturers haven't just copied this design.)

Unfortunately, there is a potential danger to this design. The 811A output tube receives this high voltage from an (easily accessible) cap on the top of the tube, and not from the usual, inaccessible tube pins within the chassis.

This means that anyone (or anything) who removes this cap while the amplifier is "on", or even "off" for a short period of time, and touches the internal metal part, can be electrocuted. I realize only a fool or idiot would do this, but I felt it should be mentioned.

The Altec came with a perforated, protective cover which made it impossible to reach the cap, but it may be missing, and some people may prefer not to use it because the 811A output tubes look "cool" when they are "on" and all "lit up". This is highly unadvisable.

My advice is to do whatever it takes to make these plate caps inaccessible to others; a replacement cover, screen etc. Don't worry about "ruining" the appearance of this amplifier, it can't be made any worse than it already is. Once that is done, this amplifier is as safe as any other tube amplifier, and very reliable.

One final concern also deals with the Altec's very high voltage. A reader has informed me that an electronics designer warned him that the amplifier can "emit high radiation levels".

The designer's advice to an Altec owner is simple: "He will want to distance himself as much as possible from those amps..." This advice is also applicable with any other electronic device using high voltages; such as televisions, some older computer monitors and even "typical" tube amplifiers etc., so this information doesn't compromise the Altec 1570's recommendation except in very highly unusual circumstances. Tom Tutay, the modification expert and engineer, also feels the amplifier is "very safe". (20 or more of these Altec amplifiers were used in the Astrodome and they were on 24 hours a day. The engineers who worked in near proximity never had any problems with them.)

and the interesting link: http://www.high-endaudio.com/rec.html#Tur

Arthur is a certified freak. That page kills me. Some good info on there but also some Arthur foible info as well. But that page has been up a long time and someone always wanders onto it. HE is no lover of Linn, that is for sure! I trade a few email with him a long time ago and lets just say, he is a character. He just needs to assert himself more and not be afraid to share his opinion on gear.... indeed.

Jeff, you would kill yourself with those monsters. I am now trying to imagine your hot dump in August with those things heating the place. Your 300B amps brought the place to 100f!!!!

Dont make me do something!

kh

----------------

On 8/29/2003 5:12:53 PM mobile homeless wrote:

Jeff, you would kill yourself with those monsters. I am now trying to imagine your hot dump in August with those things heating the place. Your 300B amps brought the place to 100f!!!!

Dont make me do something!

kh

----------------

These would be my winter amps.

Nahhh... Too much voltage in those. It might be fun to repair and mod these but I prefer to start from scratch.

But at 600 USD for the pair! Must.... resist... hitting... "Buy it now" button!

Oh wait... "Will ship to USA only"

God bless, a tempting adventure has turned into a non-event.

----------------

On 8/29/2003 5:12:53 PM mobile homeless wrote:

Arthur is a certified freak. That page kills me. Some good info on there but also some Arthur foible info as well. But that page has been up a long time and someone always wanders onto it. HE is no lover of Linn, that is for sure! I trade a few email with him a long time ago and lets just say, he is a character. He just needs to assert himself more and not be afraid to share his opinion on gear.... indeed.

kh

----------------

Geez, I went through his site!

This guy seems to be the Andrew Marshall of tubes.

Now where are those Tylenols!