The Minimax pre-amp - my perspective

No Disc

Well, I've played with the Minimax for a few days. In general this is a decent 12AU7 pre-amp. Well built and with some decent NOS 12AU7s tubes, it sounds probably about as good as a 12Au7 pre-amp can sound. The sound-stage is nice and deep, the detail is there, and produces some clean and noise free sound.

It does not sound better than my current AE-3 Pre-amp equipped with some decent, but not exotic, 6SN7 tubes, not even close. The only method to achieve a sound that comes even near the 6SN7, is by substituting (and I use that term loosely) a non-sub tube the E80CC (6085). The E80CC has the same pin-outs as a 12AU7, but is only rated for half the current of the 12AU7. The maximum plate voltage is 250v so as long as you don't exceed this, your fine I guess?

If you search around the tubes Asylum you will note numerous posts regarding the E80CC and it's sonic benefits over the 12Au7. It's clearly an improvement in the Minimax, but even with two of the E80CCs, one in the buffer stage, and one in the gain stage, the Minimax still does not equal the relaxed lushness of the 6SN7. There is something unnatural and edged about the Minimax running these tubes, and I suspect the tube life might also suffer.

This brings me to the topic of the U.S. distributor promoting this pre-amp and suggesting to use tubes the circuit was not designed for. Enjoy the Music reviewed this pre-amp using the Tungsram E80CC tube in the buffer stage. I'm not sure how I feel about a pre-amp being reviewed with tubes it was not designed to use either. To me this is like cheating or misrepresentation of what the product can do. The reviewed ramblings of the Minimax sonic achievement probably had more to do with the non-standard E80CC tube that it did with the pre-amp. That's my guess anyway.

In closing, this is a very nice sounding 12Au7 pre-amp, and would be a bargain at a lower price point. Considering they are asking $1200 for the unit I can't help but feel the money would be better spent on a 6SN7 pre-amp. Which you can certainly find at that price point.

I can't help but wonder if those that gave this pre-amp glowing reviews had ever heard a decent 6SN7 pre-amp?

tb

Well, it still sounds like an excellent preamp. Then again, I have almost alway preferred the octals for preamps, despite their growing scarcity. I think many could be happy with the MiniMax and a few might like this sound better. I dont think I wouuld either, however.

If anyone is not familiar with the AES AE-3 DJH Signature (standing for Dennis "Jowls" Had), there is is below. The retail is about $1200 for this piece. You can find it used occasionally for less for sure, this via Audiogon. The regular SS rectified stock unit is much less, hovering in the 350 range give or take. I think the tube rectification and better caps make a difference here. Oh yeah, dont forget the soft shoes! Lordy.

See below from Upscale Audio...

ae3_sample1.jpg

The AE-3 DJH is an upscale version of the basic AE-3. The difference is significant in all respects both sonically as well as circuitry and build.

We will go out on a limb and say this: The AE-3 DJH competes with cost-no-object preamps from ANY manufacturer. It is truly a hand made masterpiece, with no circuit boards inside. It is point to point wired, which is an art that takes time and talent to implement, but is better sonically and from the standpoint of dependability.

What you are not paying for is additional dealer mark up and a big empty box.

This compact model screams "Listen to me!"

Features:

- Vacuum tube rectification with a 6CA4 rectifier. Absolute purists like tube rectification for a smooth tube midrange

- Fully regulated high voltage power supplies utilizing a Motorola MJW16212 regulator. This helps maintain control when music becomes complex

- Film and foil power supply capacitors

- Copper and oil capacitors in the regulator system

- Direct coupling between gain and output stages (no capacitor required) - this is a stunning difference when compared to other preamps, especially in bandwidth. When we first plugged it is, we could not believe how deep and tight the bass is, and how the top end goes on forever without being harsh.

- Noble dual volume potentiometer. This is an upgraded volume control for sonic heaven.

- Kimber Kable Silver Select wires on all audio leads, and Kimber RCA output connectors

- Cary upgraded machine aluminum control knobs

- Cary Low resonance shoes on bottom plate

Yeah, some of that is Kevin Deal hype but it's a nice pre anyway.

kh