Soliciting Opinions, Thoughts, etc.

Geo1

I have a pair of Quartets which I love. I'm thinking about looking at Forte's or Forte II's to replace the Quartets. My thinking is that the Forte's go a little bit deeper (32Hz vs. 38Hz), but I really have no complaints about the Quartets in the bass department. In fact, I find the bass on the Quartets to be plenty for my room. My concern is that although the bass on the Forte's goes deeper, it might also be boomy in the mid and upper bass regions. Can somebody tell me how the mid and upper bass is on the Forte's? I know that no one can tell me how Forte's will sound in my room, but can someone advise how they sound in comparison to Quartets? TIA

Hello,

The Fortes do not sound the least bit boomy; I have lived with a pair for 15 years, and I still find them to be some of the most accurate speakers I have ever heard. Every Forte frequency response graph I have seen bears out that their response is extremely flat.

On the other hand, I do not know that going to the Forte from the Quartet is going to be a revelatory experience for you. If you don't already have one, a good subwoofer would be a better way to improve your sound. I would not have considered the Forte bass-shy, but after I started listening with a big fat Hsu 1220, I don't like hearing anything without it... there is a whole subterranean world of bass that has to be felt to be appreciated; not only that, but a sub will also make good recordings sound more realistic, because of the accurate reproduction of "room cues". I began to be able to picture the environment that many recordings were made in, only after "exploring the depths."

(If I had it to do over, I would probably go with SVS; I have never heard a negative comment about their quality or service).

geo

I have found from my years of using Klipsch that IMHO the Forte is probably the best speaker to gain the sound of the larger Klipsch speakers for small listening areas.

The bass is very well matched with its midrange and highs. It is not a "boomey" bass altough I suppose if you wanted to crank your bass knob all the way up it could be.

JM