The perfect heratige system

fzzytddybr1

4 K-horns and a La Scala Center.

La Scala rear center.

No receiver, never; must be separates with high Class A bias. May be tube or SS, but you need a minimum of 50 watts for every channel.

At least one of the biggest, harriest subwoofers you can find; Klipsch RSW-15 is the minimum, consider 2 of those. Others would work. Must have subs for proper LFE.

How about a V in the center so you could have a Khorn in the center? Have it rigth behind the screen 9.gif

Reguardless, the dynamics must be incredible on a system like that - no compression (loss of SPL or whatever) and enough power/cone area/etc. to make some real noise.

Yep I have to agree I have close to that in my living room with much more power. The main 5 speakers have 400W per channel available to them on demand but seldom need more than a few. The two 15" subwoofers add the needed bass reinforcement, the passive sub is a dual voice coil unit being fed 250W per coil. It is capable of incredible SPL without any loss of clarity or any signs of distortion. It can easily reach the "you are there" threshold without breaking a sweat.

Perfect for one person will not be perfect for the next, but you do have a big room so you could do four cornerhorns with either a belle or la scala for front and rear center. The rear cornerhorns would amount to gross over-kill in my humble opinion, but since you did not mention any budget considerations, what the heck; go for broke!

There are no heritage subs, but really, just the biggest, baddest bass mongers you can swing, to keep pace with the horns. If money is no object, perhaps a couple of the new top SVS boxes would do it. To stay within a more reasonable budget, I'd go with a pair of SVS Ultra's.

For electronics, again, if money is no thang, then do separates, but I don't think it's really necessary. After all, klipsch heritage speakers need less power than about anything out there. But it does need to be very clean and low distortion power, cause the horns will lay bare any weakness upstream.

This is what I would do. - What I am working on anyway.

I would go 7.1 format over 5.1 or 6.1.

Khorns for main L+R. Would not use a Khorn center because it sould have to be behind the mains. Would not suggest that unless you pull off top and mount id flush with your screen, still I would not suggest that.

LAS for center, sides and rears. This way you can adjust your sides and rears to fit your room and seating changes in the future.

SVS subs for sure.

Lexicon MC-12 or MC-8 processor because it just is the best period. (wish I had the cash)

I would drive the whole system with vintage McIntosh amps. Maybe MC-30 tube amps for the front 3 channels. And Sterio MC-250, 2100, 2105 or 2505's for the sides and rears.

Eventually I will get there.

JM

JM,

"I would go 7.1 format over 5.1 or 6.1."

Definitly, a single rear center speaker has psychoacoustic problems as human hearing can actually mistake sounds coming from directly behind a listener as coming from in front of them. Just the opposite of the effect you seek with a rear center channel. Having two rears wider spread helps to avoid the rear to front inversion.... even if they are both reproducing a mono channel. Of course if you have a Lex. then it gives you stereo rears using Logic 7 to make things even better yet. :)

Shawn

----------------

On 8/31/2003 11:27:20 AM fzzytddybr1 wrote:

Whats the differance between the belle and la scalla?

----------------

Mostly the way it looks. Belle is much much better looking!! Sound is almost exactly the same. Personally, IMHO I like the sound of the K400 in the LAS over the Belle's K500 but that is a very small detail.

JM

----------------

On 9/1/2003 8:35:05 PM bkyarddog wrote:

I now have the Khorns in front with the Academy center and yes I am happy. Now I am trying to decide between the Hersey and Forte lines for a rear channel. Please help because i am only one channel away from heaven.

----------------

BYD

I use to use Fortes in my Heritage HT. Although the Forte has more range than the Heresy, I replaced my Fortes with Heresys.

The reason is that the Heresys are very easy to mount high on the wall, giving you better surrround effects. I have my Heresys mounted at the ceiling / wall corner angled down to the sweet spot. The Fortes with the passive woofer on the rear only work well on the floor.

Mounting them high over your head gives you a more 3D surround effect, kind of like di-poles, but with the Timbre and full range sound that can only be delivered by a floor standing speaker. Best of both worlds IMHO.

To make your HT really shine, sell your Academy for big bucks and replace with a Cornwall, Belle or Lascalla. Or if space is a problem do like most of us and build your own. My HT really came alive when I put the K400 in between my Khorns.

JM

JM is right, I had a KV-4 center before I got the La Scala and can tell you for certain the La Scala would kick the crap out of the KV-4 or the Academy for that matter and makes for an absolutely seamless front soundstage. For what Academy's have been selling for you could easily get close to the cost of a pair of La Scala's. Keep one and sell the other, or use it as a rear center if you have the room.