More new inexpensive subs,and a great find($250CAN)

TheEAR

Ok I was about to pick up a RW10 sub,but I decided to pick up two new subs made by Reel.The first is a very small unit using a 8" woofer its model numberRSW-810(yeah they "borrowed" the RSW designation.3.gif And the second is the 12" woofer equipped RSW-1215.

The 810 has a 125W amp and the 1215 uses a 250W unit.What surprised me its the new series are a huge step up from the previous series(I consider a joke).The cabinet is very sturdy(much more solid then the Klipsch RW series),the woofers are of good quality and the plate amps are great for the minute price.

Consider this the RSW-810 costs a mere $250 CANADIAN(under 150USD!)and the RSW-1215 goes for $375CANADIAN,that is around 250USD!And both produce some of the best quality bass you will ever hope to her below $300.

No boomy,droning BS.The bass while limited to 40Hz on the RSW-810 is clean and does not boom like the Klipsch KSW series.The RSW-1215 gets to 30Hz withe ase and again is very very clean and the quality of the bass and the product itself is obvious.

SO far I am listening and all I can say is,these would be ideal for a small HT or a great start for a PC sub.The RSW-810 costs less then the Klipsch SWS and guess what...its a better unit.Clearly

I'll start posting pics in an hour or so 1.gif

Since there is a large demand for INEXPENSIVE quality subs,and I have time to burn.Why not inform the fellow Klipschers.

Its very easy to design and build a multi kilobuck sub,its an art to design a dirt cheap quality woofer that will please those who know what subwooferdom greatness is.

More to follow...

thank you for doing these budget subwoofer reviews, theEAR. I thought I'd make an cd player investment before anything because the rb-5 used to do alright and my budget wouldn't allow for getting anything worthy like the RSW-12. after reading prodj's placement thread, I've been experimenting all week. after doing some crazy furniture arrangements in my small room, I ended up with the original setup14.gif except the rb-5's are more spread out/pulled away from the wall/ and the monitor placed behind the desk. needless to say, the bass extension took a little hit. I need to save a bit more(looking to spend around $600, maybe a little more if the subwoofer's performance/price ratio is significantly better) and I'll be in the market for a subwoofer within 2 months. keep up the helpful reviews, I definately appriciate them.

Hey Ear, I just saw that you shop at the same place I do, Radio ST-Hubert. Now I'm even more interested in what prices they gave you for the RW-10 and RW-12. I bought all my Klipsch stuff there. I haven't checked the price yet because I was waiting for them to be able to tell me when they were getting the RCX-4 and RSX-5's but so far they haven't even heard of these speakers yet. Let me know. Thanks.

CO1,

You shop at Radio ST-Hubert TOO!I shop at the one on Plaza St-Hubert close to work.And purchased a few items at Codell,Opus(now gone),AudioCentre and a few others.

Ask Bernie(the owner)if he knows a one named Arthur(TheEAR),and ask if this Arthur has subwoofers.He will know LOL I purchased at least a dozen subs from them ...alone!!! 9.gif

Christian and Vince also know this Arthur,and when I walk in I always ask AS TU UN GROS SUBWOOFER THE DIX HUIT POUCES. LOL 9.gif

Anyay I'll post a good few pics today,promised.I was too lazy last night.

In before 5:00PM eastern time(12:43PM now)you'll see some piles of subs. LOL

DES GROS SUBWOOFER

BTW great PC you have,close to my config,I use dual Raptors in stripe for data(LOL)and dual Cheetah X15 in stripe for...boot.Its zippy and XP loads like a hurricane.1.gif The Raptor is a killer SATA drive,the JB are also great drives for storage(and fast).

Actually I have never set foot in the store. I do all my shopping there by phone because everything here has to be flown in. We're basically an island with a prison on it. Its kind of like Alcatraz with a small town around it, in the middle of Canada's highest crime rate per capita area catering to its customers. I think we have officially served more customers than McDonalds with the big difference being we force our customers to serve, we don't serve them.9.gif Would be nice if Radio ST-Hubert had a web site so I could see what they have in the store. Would probably buy more than Klipsch gear if I could see what's in stock. It's amazing how many stores in Canada aren't online compared to the US where it seems like everyone is. Oh BTW don't buy any stock in Future Shop, they're going out of business. Their recent switch to Purolator from Canada Post has forced me to switch to Amazon.ca so if you have any friends that work there tell them not to over extend their credit because theres going to be a lot of lay offs this year.9.gif At Radio ST-Hubert who is the best one to deal with? I find sometimes I get people that dont know about the new products so I have to try and explain what Im looking for. A good example is the RCX-4 and the RSX-5s. Wont say who I talked to but he had no clue about these speakers or when they would get them.

Yeah those Raptors are nice. My other two PCs which I just have listed as HTPC are very similar. I can run any game out there with all settings cranked which is why I go for the performance not to mention the processing power thats required to run ffdshows resize and other filters for DVDs.

Here the PolkAudio PSW404 and 505.The 505(bottom)uses a 300W BASH(it aint trash)amp.

Both passed HT tests with flying dB's and are TheEAR approved.Dig quite low(around 30Hz with power)and can dish out serious SPL.Great cabinet quality,solid plate amps(the 505 BASH amp plate never gets even more then warm even during heavy use)and quality woofers capable of some serious whiplash.

For the price these are great subs

On music again these surprise,not Klipsch RSW clean but close to call them TheEAR music approved.And not KSW type boom boxes.

More on the way...

Sorry for the trash can pics,even with a good digital cam my ZERO potographic talent shows.The room is also too dark.Ah well

post-3469-13819248946986_thumb.jpg

Nothing special here.Just the plain view of the Reel RSW810,remember this thing costs peanuts($250 CANADIAN,$150 US).Its finish quality and built cannot be showcased by this pic.The 810 is great for those looking for a PC sub or very small HT.

Its not boomy like so many dirt cheap subs(bass modules),its clean bass surprised me.It can play quite loud in small rooms and has a nice punch.Above all you can enjoy listeing to music,it does not make a boom boom massacre most sub $250 subwoofers spit out.

Its great for micro speakers that rollof fast and have little bass.Surprising even my Totem ROKK gained when cut at 80Hz(Paradigm X30)and bass below 80Hz was taken care by the RSW810.I could still enjoy music and did not notice any major flaws so common in cheapo subs.

The cabinet is very solid,the amp unlike any of the rock bottom jokes called subs.And the 8" wooofer

has a 30-40oz magnet with a vented pole piece.The sourround is made ot of rubber unlike the lower quality thin foam sourrounds.The cone is treated paper,stiff and light.

What this little sub will not reproduce much under 40Hz,however its not peaky like almost all subs in this price range.This is its greatest forte,it does not butcher music or irritate,you can listen for hours and enjoy.

I would define the RSW810 as being clean,punchy and free from nasty dips and bumps in the range it covers.A very major plus

How does it compare to SVS Ultra,Sunfire Sig.,Velodyne HGS and company uh it lacks the BIG LEAGUE output and true subsonic bass might.AT $150 its still a great buy,before anyone considers a POS like a Sony WM40 you better look twice and listen to the 810/1012 or 1215 from Reel.Much better bass quality and built quality that puts the WM40 to shame.Trust me

post-3469-13819248950026_thumb.jpg

CO1,

Well as far as new products are concerned I am almost always the one to give them the news.Not a surprise,as no store in Montreal or any town can teach me much about audio.I check a few audio sites

online even twice a day so new products dont escape me.

Plus I get eight to ten audio mags each month.And read most of them from cover to cover,avoiding the adds and hoopla(40% of the mag).

Lets say I deal with who ever is there,as I do not need any advice.I simply say I need product A and B and ask for a good price.I purchased there over $30000 easy,all the small stuff.

I will not stab anyone,as these folks know about this site and may well read this too.2.gif

----------------

On 8/31/2003 4:47:41 PM CO1 wrote:

Actually I have never set foot in the store. I do all my shopping there by phone because everything here has to be flown in. We're basically an island with a prison on it. Its kind of like Alcatraz with a small town around it, in the middle of Canada's highest crime rate per capita area catering to its customers. I think we have officially served more customers than McDonalds with the big difference being we force our customers to serve, we don't serve them.
9.gif
Would be nice if Radio ST-Hubert had a web site so I could see what they have in the store. Would probably buy more than Klipsch gear if I could see what's in stock. It's amazing how many stores in Canada aren't online compared to the US where it seems like everyone is. Oh BTW don't buy any stock in Future Shop, they're going out of business. Their recent switch to Purolator from Canada Post has forced me to switch to Amazon.ca so if you have any friends that work there tell them not to over extend their credit because theres going to be a lot of lay offs this year.
9.gif
At Radio ST-Hubert who is the best one to deal with? I find sometimes I get people that dont know about the new products so I have to try and explain what Im looking for. A good example is the RCX-4 and the RSX-5s. Wont say who I talked to but he had no clue about these speakers or when they would get them.

Yeah those Raptors are nice. My other two PCs which I just have listed as HTPC are very similar. I can run any game out there with all settings cranked which is why I go for the performance not to mention the processing power thats required to run ffdshows resize and other filters for DVDs.
----------------

Wow, that would explain your uber computer and stereo - it must be REALLY boring...

Yeah I take part in a lot of indoor activities for obvious reasons but boring it isnt. I get people a couple times a week trying to make good on threats of harm at work. Not exactly fun but I wouldn't call it boring. In my off time it's either something tech related or I'm training staff. Two of us train all the staff in let's say prison survival skills. Can't tell you exactly what we do because the Feds will pick up on it but we also perform all the involuntary cell extractions and crisis negations. There that was a nice round about way of describing it. If it was boring I wouldnt need to go to the Caribbean twice a year on stress leave.10.gif