Any recommendtion on Amp/Speakers for Classical music

FuzzyNY

I recently fall in love with Classical music, I am very happy with my HT setup (RF3II and Denon 3300) when I watch DVD, however, it seems that the setup doesn't sounds as good when I listen to classical music, any suggestion on 2 channel amp and speakers that are good for classical music but not too costly? I plan to buy those on ebay, thanks in advance

Fuzz

Fuzz,

I'm not familiar with the Denon 3300, but are you switcing to "stereo" mode when you listen to Classical or you leaving it in a surround mode?

Assuming you have done that already and don't like the sound, lots of possibilities exist. To make specific suggestions it would be better if you could establish a budget. $500?, $1000?, $2000? Do you still need to purchase a source component such as a CD player?

How large a room will you be setting this up in?

Ebay is ok, Audiogon might be even better.

- Tim

Fuzz, welcome to the 2-channel forum. That's what this forum is all about ... deciding what 2-channel system floats your boat for different kinds of rooms, budgets, musical tastes. I would just spend an afternoon reading back-posts on this forum. It will help give you a basis to start asking questions.

If you're on a budget, buy clean gear used on Ebay or Audiogon, the latter usually being a better source for well-cared-for higher end gear. Vintage tube integrated (Eico, Scott, Fisher) can be had for less than $400 in most cases. Contact Craig Ostby (NOSValves here) for technician checked gear.

There are many classical music fans here ... Besides for the expensive Klipschorn, many have found happiness with the Cornwall, Forte or Chorus lines. For source, I'd start with a good used CD player, unless you have a large vinyl collection, at which point there's a LOT MORE reading to do on this 2-channel site.

Good luck!

FuzzyNY,

As Chris said, that's what this site is about. Read some of the threads here. You'll get a feel for the issues and solutions. Older, and current (Reference) Klipsch speakers can do Clasical well, but you have to match the speaker with an amp that delivers sound you like. That's not trivial, but it is posible. We've all done it, most of us just keep messing with our solutions because they can always be better.

leok

Excellent suggestions by Chris & leok (as usual). I have to agree that the reference speakers can do an excellent job with classical music, but I might make one minor modification to their suggestions. I too was dissatisfied with my classical music on my RF-3s, Denon 3801 and Denon DVD-1000. It often sounded dead and one dimensional even though they are some of the top performances of that piece. On the recommendation of a few of the users here, I started looking into a dedicated amp and a good CDP. However, an nice polite Acurus ACT-3 pre/pro (which I upgraded) fell into my lap. So I had to go out and buy a nice little amp, I ended up with the Parasound HCA-1205A. I tested quite a lot between the 3801/Parasound/DVD-1000 and the ACT3/Parasound/DVD1000 and to be honest...there was NO comparison. The music just came to life with the ACT3, it was amazing!!! The passion of the performance came through with the ACT3 so much it made my hair on my arms stand up, the Denon NEVER did that! The difference was only in the DACs/DSPs of the ACT-3 (using coax digital from the DVD-1000). To get to the point, yes a CDP could be a good way to avoid the DSPs/DACs of the Denon. However, you might consider replacing the the Denon AVR-3300 with something that has better DACs/DSPs. Either would probably be okay, but I'ma bit concerned that having the Denon only acting as a preamp/amp still might kill the music, perhaps someone with more experience could make a comment on this....

I have made the assumption that you are referring to the Denon AVR-3300 and not to the Denon DVD-3300, so a bit more information on your setup and musical preferences would be greatly appreciated.

I for one love detailed (almost analytical) sounding music, but the recordings/mixing that you choose can have a HUGE HUGE influence on the enjoyment of the music, so select carefully. Something like the Gramophone Classical Good CD Guide makes some excellent recommendations on performances. Also, the concert hall makes a MASSIVE impact on the presentation of a performance, I have season tickets to the Philadelphia orchestra, their new concert hall is gorgeous but the acoustics are not fantastic. I have decent seats, but in no means floor seats in the sweet spot 15.gif. My boss has the cheap seats way way up in the concert hall that I got to use one night, I was amazed at the difference in the acoustics. I actually enjoyed his seats much better. The music was not nearly so "smoothed out", you could hear the individual instruments, the double bass, and bassoons.

Don't get discouraged Fuzz, it will take time (and a little luck) to find the right stuff.

-Dave

Sorry for the long post.....

For under two grand you can get a nice pair of Cornwalls, a nice Scott, Eico or Dynaco integrated tube amp, a turntable with cartridge and about 2 or 300 albums from the Salvation Army, Goodwill Industries or other thrift stores. Then carefully place your speakers along the long wall of your room as close to the corners as possible(in the corners is best). Toe the speakers in at a 30-45 degree angle Put your favorite chair mid way between the speakers where the sound fields intersect. Put on a vintage copy of your favorite symphony and ENJOY!

From there on in each little mod will sound better and better but when you sit in your chair and close your eyes you will be in heaven.

You always remember your first time.

Rick