'Red flashes' when watching a DVD with lots of motion?

kenratboy

I was watching LOTR Two Towers and during the battle of Helms Deep (spelling?), I noticed some red and blue 'flashes' on the screen on areas where there was rapid movement. I am 100% sure it is because of a non-videophile component, and not a problem (is was almost un-noticable) - just ondering if it is a known issue with cheaper equiptment.

Thanks!

The chroma bug affects dvd players. I'm not an expert, and haven't identified it on anything I have played, but there is LOTS of talk about what it is and what manufacturers are doing (or not doing) to fix it. See avsformus.com, hometheatreforum, secretsofhometheatre, et al. for all the details. Hope I haven't misled you.

How are you connecting your DVD player to your TV? Video (RCA cable), S-Video or component (RBG)? This maybe part of the problem. Or, you have jacked up the hue brightness controls. Try resetting them to 0.

If you are ever up late and one of your local stations put up color bars, you can use your eyes to adjust your TV some.

Paul

KRB,

What you described as flashes are video compression artifacts. Your DVD player is the most likely culprit. A better video processor ($$$) would likely solve the problem. If it doesn't happen very often, I wouldn't worry about it.

The video transfer rate varies between 6 and 10 Mbps in the scene that caused the problem. Some processors may be overwhelmed.

Bill

I use decent (at the WORSE) component video cable. It is the gold-plated, metal jacket (no plastic on the connector), thick stuff.

What I am seeing is in the LOTR battle scenes, one of the bad guys will swing a sword, and its arm moves very fast, maybe a few frames for the full motion, and on that very part, there are some red trails behind the motion. I think it has to be the DVD player, as the TV is a $750 32" Sharp and the DVD player is a decent (at the BEST) 5-DVD Panasonic.