Need help picking speakers for 6.1 system.

Remdmm

Hello,

My wife and I are in the process of trying to put together a 6.1 surround system that will also be used for listening to music. We are thinking of purchasing 4 RB35's for the front and back L&R an RC35 for the center and a RS35 for the rear center we would also be using the RW12. The room has already been wired but because of the shape we could not use towers for the front and must wall mount all of the speakers. The left and right surrounds have to be mounted about 5 feet behind our listening area and we are wondering if we should use the RB35's or two more of the RS35's? If we use the bookshelf speakers for the rear sides would the 35's be a good choice or is it overkill? Does this set up sound OK? We have a budget of about $2500.00 for the speakers and would really like to hear your opinions.

Thanks for any advice you can give us!

Rem - Actually, why not get RB35's all the way around? You'll have a perfectly matched system that way, especially across the front where it is really important.

Aside from that, you may choose to use another RC35 for the rear center rather than a surround-style speaker like the RS35. The rear center is used to anchor audio cues across the back, and that effect could be diminished by the nature of a surround speaker.

DD

DD is absolutely right on the Rear center. in a 6.1 environment, its better to get a RC35 then a RS35. Its because of the way the speaker is designed. The RS has a wider dispertion since the tweeters are on the side where the RC is more direct. Since everything is on the wall, it might be advantageous to use RB35s all the way around.

How come Klipsch recommends using the RS series for the rear center in their online manuals?

I am in same boat trying to decide which to get....I want floor standing but floor space is at premium and the BETTER HALF does not like look.....

My thinking is:

RB 75 Front or RB 35

RC 35 Center

RS 35 Side Surrounds

RS 35 Rear Center

To give the illusion of more sound space.

I think because the RS speaker is not a direct speaker, it might be possible you can be fooled into thinking there are 2 speakers in the rear. However, for the feeling of something directly behind you, a rear center will be better because tweeter and horn is directly facing you from behind where on the RS, tweeters are off to the side.

at least.. thats my theory of it.

• 4 months later...

Rem

RW 12 sub....This Sub will shake the room if i want it to , the sound is deep and clean , i am very impressed with my whole set up,,,My brother ( who is a stereo nut has two RSW-15 , KLF 30 fronts , C-7 center channel , Hersheys for the back and two RF-35 in the back also , he is a stereo and HT. nut... I have in my room ( 15 x 20 ) the new satilite speakers ( RSX-5 ) 5 of them ( RCX-4 ) center channel and the RW 12 sub