Reciever and DVD/CD

dkbainbridge

I hope to purchase a new reciever (thinking of h/k avr7200 or 525) and want to get new dvd player. But I want great music audio too. Seems like the Denon 2900 would take care of video and dvd-a but not sacd. Should I foget the 2900 and look for something else to play dvd video? 2900 is pricey. Would really appreciate some direction from you that have experience with good HDTV and advanced audio formats.

Thanks

David

Denon 2900 will play SACDs.

The Denon 2900 has many fans in the forum.

If you want a "universal" player to play SACDs over a digital medium however, you will need to get something like a Pioneer Elite 47Ai and hook it up to a Pioneer Elite VSX 49TXi or VSX-55TXi. Some other players/receivers will do the "i-link" connection too.

The "i" in the Pioneer model names stand for "iLink" which is Sony's name for Firewire. Its the same thing. Thats the only way to listen to SACDs over digital media. Otherwise, you have to use 6 analog RCA cables.

I do not believe Denon is supporting Firewire at this time.

Actually I do not know if anyone besides Pioneer and Sony that have "i-link" support at this time.

the 2900 is a bit pricey, but? it depends on what you want from your machine, i have had zero probs, and everything i play is done so well, this machine is restoring my liking for denon, it is just a great machine, and you forget about the 900 once you settle in and beging experiencing music/ht in an whole new way, plus operation is so smooth, time between layers is almost not noticable, tray so quiet you forget you ejected, i just love my 290012.gif

I'm not sure on the quirks, compatibility ect, but the 5803 has Digital link to bypass the use of 6 anolag interconnects. The 2900 has bass management as does the 1600 but again, you'd have to do some research as I am unfamiliar with their bass management limitations. The Pioneer DV-45a is inexpensive, plays SACD and DVD-audio, and provides Bass management (unknown limitaitons). But I think it must be setup via anolag interconnects.

Anyway, you could always save some money and pickup Outlaw's ICBM Bass Management system. Sure you'd be using anolag interconnects but so what. The question is are you willing to go with the "ilink", "fire Wire", "denon link", and fork out the dough, or go the other route? Eventually you'll make a decision, and its always best to choose what you'll be happy with in the end...no "I should have..." or "maybe if I....". Look where the future in electronics is going and do you best to minimize your chances of having less compatible harware sooner than later.

DVD ETC has a DVD Buyer's Guide in the back of every issue (kind of like Car and Driver's road test digest)and I think its very usful in providing a quick overview of DVD players capabilities.

Again, I've not had first hand experience with the aforementioned DVD Players, only waht I've read here and there

I'm also thinking of purchasing a new DVD player. Right now I'm looking at the JVC XV-FA900BK. It is a more inexpensive player, but still plays DVD-AUDIO, and other formats (no SACD though).

Does anyone have any opinions on this player?

I also noticed that Sony is producing a DVD/SACD changer in the same price range...

Greg

Well... for about $130.00, the specs look decent enough. It doesn't have any additional video signal processing like a DCDi. At least it has the 192kHz/24-bit audio D/A converter for audip CDs.

You can get it off the web for about $130.00 so you might lose a little in the video and audio depts. but its not bad. I have a JVC Dvd player. It works fine for normal use.