Tube amps in HT Setup?

Craig6519

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am trying to visualize who said the line...I cannot...BUT I will take a guess...katy jurado?

kell, come on down, I will tell you all about the hollywood years (alll three of them, lol), we'll surf and I will take you out on the range to fire automatic weapons (my gringo friends ALWAYS like to do that, even if at home they are pro-arms-control)...it'll be a blast!

Movies you can play on your brand new tube HT system?

Dont punish diversity and the flow. You took a bit too long to get back, people answered your questions and then, getting tired of waiting, went of on one of the loving tangents that always happens in these threads. It's part of the charm. Embrace it, my tube-loving friend!

Tony, dont say too much or I actually WILL SHOW UP! Just ask ole Jeff. He is still recovering...

Sounds great to me, and although guns arent my thing, I'll fire a few if it keeps the locals happy.

kh

Nah, it was Slim Pickens. But you can still have the Curtis Counce LP--the best drummer in the world (Frank Bulter, 1958) is on this one and every one on earth should have this record.

Send me $11 bucks some time to pay for shipping. Email me your address and it goes out tomorrow. If you don't want the record I'll give it as a consolation prize to Kelley.

By the way, I'd rather spend a week in Berlin, El Salvador than Berlin, Germany.

allan, kelly will appreciate the LP more than I will, not for the content, but because I almost NEVER use my TT! thanks for the thought. berlin salvador? have you been there? kelly re: visit and guns, not to harp on guns, I am a bigger believer in removing guns from civilian hands now more than ever after seeing what it is like when EVERYONE has a gun! everyone who comes down says they do not like guns but then they see them all around (highest murder rate in the western hemisphere and three kidnappings a day will do that to a country) and get curious, a couple of clips from an MP-5 and M-16 and they find it is fun to shoot...surfing is best in february-march...as far a visiting central america, guatemala is the best place to go, lots of visible maya, great natural beauty in the interior of the country. the islands that run from belize down to nicaragua's atlantic coast are stunning for diving/snorkeling. costa rica is the safest of the countries and has great eco-tourism possiblities. let me know when you get the itch to tour CA and I will plan on hosting you.

craig: I put in my two cents about tubes in HT, yes if you like the sound and do not mind the additional maintenance. I would not waste tubes on surround channels or subwoofer.

tony

If ole Craig thought the thread gone before, now it has reached near abstract levels. I am getting hungry as well. I have never been to Central/South America, the closest being Mexico and the Britsh and US Virgin Islands.

Although, I have a long time girlfriend that was half Cuban with family in Guatemala as well. She loved it down in CA; I never got to go. She was a fiery, creative beauty with green eyes and honey blond hair and CRAZY as a loon. Art/English Major - spoke Spanish as well as English. Locked me out of the house close to 10 times and once drove off in another state leaving me at a hotel for two days. I probably deserved it. I miss her. heh....

Oh...and she DREAMED OF TUBES....and occasionally HT.

kh

One of the best threads in a LONG time. Craig, thanks for starting it and heading off to work :)

Craig, I had a pair of tube amps in my HT for a while and found it a difficult experience. Heat build-up in the cabinet was an issue (when the kids closed the glass doors with the amps on it reminded me of those old "Easy Bake" kids' ovens) and the sound really didn't do much for me. The amps (AMP1 40W PP's) sounded very nice with a tube pre-amp for music, but hooked to the pre-amp out of a Denon HT receiver, they sounded like processed bits and bytes.

I've since removed them and am just listening to the Denon by itself, and it's great for TV and movies. I listen to all my music on my two-channel system in the living room.