Biwiring...how to fit wire in receiver terminal...

tom67

1) Radio Shack sells good banana plugs for not a lot of money. The larger gold plated bananas have a central hole and compressing thread that should be fine for two sections of twelve gauge wire.

2) Don't put the wire in the hole in the binding post, just twist the wires together, wrap them around the post, and tighten it down.

3) Radio Shack sells nice spade lugs that you crimp onto the end of wire. The larger sizes will easily fit on two pieces of 12 gauge wire.

If you like to fiddle with the system and will be connecting / disconnecting the wires frequently, like me ;) then I'd go with the bananas. If you're just going to hook it up once and leave it alone (does anyone ever actually do that?) I'd go with the spade lugs.

Biwiring most certainly does make things better. Have a look at:

http://www.geocities.com/jonrisch/page8.htm

The graph that the above URL leads to shows a rather dramatic difference. I recommend backing up to the home page and exploring the many fascinating articles on Jon Risch's site. The index page is at this address:

http://www.geocities.com/jonrisch/index.htm

Have fun!

Gary Dahl

----------------

On 9/9/2003 6:40:50 PM wrench_peddler wrote:

Question 1. Is it bi-wiring when you run 2 leads to the speakers, One for the lows and one for the highs, both from the same source?

Yes.

Question 2. Is it bi-amping when you use two amps, one for the lows and one for the highs?

Yes.

Question 3. Is a bi-amped speaker also bi-wired by default?

Yes, but the term "bi-wired" is normally only used as you described in Question 1.

As for bi-amping, there are two ways to go about it:

Passive bi-amping: Using two amps, one for the lows, and one for the highs. The crossovers (passive) are in the speakers.

Active bi-amping: Using two amps, one for the low, and one for the highs. The crossovers (active) are ahead of the amps, so the amps' outputs go directly to the drivers.

Gary Dahl

Thanks Dougdrake...you read my mind....however, each plug is about 2 inches long and stacking would add an almost 4" projection from back of receiver which would not allow placement in builtin shelf unit. Is there any one plug on market that will take ends of two 12 guage wires? I notice better bananas have side entry and rear entry...does this mean you could fit both leads in one plug. An earlier post suggested Fork lugs but require crimping which I hate to do.