My latest project/toys that have kept me busy

Orange Peel

I know this isn't competely home audio related, but some of you might enjoy this stuff. This is what I did growing up, well, to some on this board, cough cough, Lynn, cough cough, 9.gif I am still growing up, but this was my first passion, and I have pretty much got it all, only a couple more to get....

machines2.jpg

machines3.jpg

machines4.jpg

machines5.jpg

machines6.jpg

List of what they are....

Mortal Kombat dedicated cabinet

Mortal Kombat 2 dedicated cabinet

Mortal Kombat 3 in dedicated MK I cabinet

Killer Instinct 2 dedicated cabinet

NBA JAM dedicated cabinet

I am still looking for a Killer Instinct dedicated. Later down the road I will get a NBA Hangtime dedicated, Mortal Kombat 3 dedicated, Mortal Kombat 4 dedicated, Street Fighter II dedicated, and probably a Neo Geo dedicated.

So that's what I have been pretty busy, along with work and school, I have had little time to get on here and post, but not anymore, I am gonna concentrate here more now, and keep the Home Audio upgrade up 9.gif Once I get some more money, another sub is for sure and an amp, so we'll see 3.gif

What do you think??

Thanks buddy, yeah, the home theatre rocks, now I got my arcade. The only problem is that we just moved into this house last December, and we already grew out of it, so we are planning a move early next year, sucks. Oh well, gotta make room for the toys right? 9.gif The other thing is my wife doesn't want the "bachelor pad" look, we had to move the computer desk into our bedroom because the arcade machines took up the entire den where the desk was 2.gif She loves the arcade and whatnot, just hates the lack of space now, so we need a bigger house, oh well 1.gif

That is cool! Those are definitly better than the machines I have:

I just have a Choplifter in a Bosconian cabinet (the marquee light does not work) and 1943 - Battle over Midway in a dedicated cabinet (missing marquee).

vidgame.jpg

Both machines do work very nicely though, although the condition could be better. Yes, the picture quality sucks - it is a poloriod instant camera - I really need to get a good digital camera!

Of course, you cannot forget MAME. I have the complete set of ROMs as of version .72, along with a HotRod SE game controller. I would like to eventually get one of these though.

I am more into the older classics, such as Pac Man, Donkey Kong and the like. I never did get much into the Mortal Kombats and the like, though.

I am going to eventually going to sell off my air-hockey table and replace it with a pool table as well as get a couple of pinball machines. I have a nice big gameroom down in the basement. I don't know what I am going to do with the other half of the basement. I may turn that into a dedicated listening room.

Still that is cool - now you got yourself a little mini-arcade also :)

Also to add - where did you get your machines? Was there an arcade auction in your area?

post-3829-13819249086564_thumb.jpg

Steve, that's cool you have a couple too. Why buy a MAME cabinet when you can build one for much less. My friend built one, you can buy the plans online, ebay I think. It cost a total of $400 with TV. Pretty simple looking actually, plus you can do your own little tweaks here and there to personalize it more. I wanted the real deal so I coughed up the money for those. Not a big fan of a lot of the older games anyways, so it wasn't worth it to me to build one.

I just found them online, one on ebay (MK3), the MK2 I got locally, the other 3 I got from one guy, he had an auction on ebay, I noticed the games in the background of the picture, so I emailed him and the rest was history 1.gif

----------------

On 9/9/2003 6:19:59 PM Orange Peel wrote:

Steve, that's cool you have a couple too. Why buy a MAME cabinet when you can build one for much less. My friend built one, you can buy the plans online, ebay I think. It cost a total of $400 with TV. Pretty simple looking actually, plus you can do your own little tweaks here and there to personalize it more. I wanted the real deal so I coughed up the money for those. Not a big fan of a lot of the older games anyways, so it wasn't worth it to me to build one.

----------------

Yeah, and I actually thought of building my own (or find a gutted out arcade cabinet on ebay or some such). Actually, you don't even really need to go to eBay to get the plans. There where a couple of websites that had the plans to download. I would imagine a search in Google for "arcade cabinet plans" may turn up something. In fact here is a good example of one such website. The difficult part will be building the control panel, and I may just go the ready-made route. For now, that HotRod SE controller is pretty darn good and very authentic in its feel. I posted my all-time high score off over 200,000 on Time Pilot '84 with MAME and that HotRod controller.

As for which of the games you like to play - I guess it all depends on what you grew up with. I am 33 (will be 34 in a couple months), thus I more or less grew up with the likes of Pac-Man, Donky Kong, Spy Hunter (my all-time favorite), and many others. By the time the Mortal Kombat hit the arcades and the like, I was in the later part of my college days and by that time, I was more into playing games on my PC and Super Nintendo instead of going to the arcades.

Now-a-days, it seems the arcade as we knew it in our childhood days is pretty much a dying breed. Yeah, there are family fun centers and the like, such as the one here that has a pretty big collectiion of video games, but the old arcade as I knew it from the '80's is now just a fond memory of my childhood (and in movies like Tron and War Games). The arcade at the local shopping mall closed up for the final time - an Aladdin's Castle. I wonder if that arcade in the DuBois Mall in PA I used to hang out all the time when I was a kid is still around.

If I recall correctly, you are a bit younger, so I can see that you would have probably spent alot more times on game such as Mortal Kombat than I would. I have played Mortal Kombat myself, and yeah its fun, but I never really got into it. I do have it on MAME so I may have to fire it up.

----------------

I just found them online, one on ebay (MK3), the MK2 I got locally, the other 3 I got from one guy, he had an auction on ebay, I noticed the games in the background of the picture, so I emailed him and the rest was history
1.gif

----------------

I got the Choplifter game at a yard sale. If I had the money, I could have also scored a Spy Hunter machine, but alas - just could not scrape up the extra pennies. The guy also had a sweet pinball machine, but somebody else beat me to it. The 1943 machine was spotted in a pawn shop. Again, if I had the extra cash at the time, I could have also scored a Pengo machine. I also had an oppurtunity to get a Mr. Do's Castle machine I spotted in a local thrift shop, but somebody else beat me to it (grrr..). I may just have to see about getting a Spy Hunter machine again...

Ah well, thanks for the walk down memory lane. 10.gif