Re-wiring 77 Khorns with CAT 5 cable??

Hi Everybody,

I've seen alot on the net about DIY high grade speaker cables made from Category 5 network cable and I've also heard alot of people rag on the lamp chord used in the Khorns (and others..).. so..

Has anybody here thought of building a set of cat 5 cables and rewiring the Khorn internals with it?? Any technical reasons why it shouldn't be done??

Here's a link to a DIY recipe with some technical info:

http://www.geocities.com/venhaus1/diycatfivecables.html

Any input or feedback on the idea would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

John

No reason to not do it. I would't expect much change, though. The wire you will replace is a lot shorter than the wire in the autotransformer, chokes, and speaker cable. My guess is that any real improvements you see will be from resoldering, etc.

Go for it and let us know what you find!

yeah, I'm interested in the rewiring thing too.

But the question is, what to rewire with?

One twisted pair, a braid of three twisted pairs, or just a section of cat5 with all conductors tied together?

As there is no +/- signal, the twisted pair aspect doesn't help, nor should the braiding. These are all designed to reduce noise infiltration.

Newer khorns appear to have big thick stuff for the crossovers.

Others have suggested using litz (sp?) cabling, which is many many fine wires bundled together.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, I rewired my La Scalas with Cat 5. I also replaced the X-overs with ALK's at the same time. Therefore, I can't comment on what percentage if any of the great improvement was attributed to the Cat 5. It sure looks better.

drobo