building new comp- parts help needed

tpg

Hi all. I am going off to college in a year, and my current comp sucks... So, my mom has agreed to finance the parts for a new comp for me. I will be using AMD, despite the differing opinions... I am fiercely loyal to them. I will use an nForce2 mobo, Enermax case+PS, ATA133 HDD, Volcano9 CPU fan. The two processor/RAM options are:

Athlon XP2400+ (2.00GHz @ 266FSB) w/ 512MB DDR266 Registered ECC

Athlon XP2600+ (2.083GHz @ 333FSB) w/ 512MB DDR333 Registered ECC

Will there be a large noticeable difference if I go with the DDR333 and ever so slightly faster processor?

Thanks all

The best buy is the Barton core based 2500XP,costs peanuts and if needed overclocks like a champ(3200XP stable seen often).

WIth 512KB cache and also a 333FSB

BTW you will be wasting money on ECC memory,ECC is a must in servers using vast amounts of memory.Just use brand names like

Kingston/Micron(Crucial)/Corsair/Samsung/Infineon and you should be A ok.Dont settle for garbage can no name memory

OK, I have redone this (had to change companies to fit everything in) to accomodate some different stuff... we now have:

Enermax case and PSU (350W)

Abit NF7 mobo (DDR400, 8x AGP, 6-ch audio, LAN, ATA133, USB2.0)

Athlon XP2500+ Barton Core (1.833GHz, 333MHz FSB)

512MB Corsair DDR400 RAM

60GB ATA133 7200RPM HDD

52x CD-RW

will use old geForce3 TI200 from current comp

Win2000 Pro

Does that sound as though it will work well for my ever so slight gaming addiction, as well as holding all my songs and being STABLE? (my current comp is ver UNSTABLE.... it ran SWAT3 for all of 5 minutes a few days ago... I used to play that for hours... I don't know what is wrong.)

Thanks

On a side note: All this is overclockable, correct? Clock speed, FSB, and videocard? I plan on running the CPU at least at 2.00GHz, and I would like the FSB at 400 instead of 333, and if possible make the TI200 a TI500 or a slower geForce4. Some major cooling will go on. 2.gif

Monitor will be my TV for a while... (20" flat panel) and speakers will be my HT via optical connection.

tpg,

Yes the 2500XP Barton core AMD should be stable at 3200XP.Now the ABIT mobo is a great choice for overclocking,in fact ABIT ranks at or near the top in the most overclockable sweepstakes.

The Ti200 will NOT reach Ti500 level because of memory limitations(unless you are lucky and have very fast DDR on your Ti200),the classic GF3 will reach GF3 Ti500 levels with ease.

And to make a Ti200 perform even like a Ti4200 GF4 is but a dream and not much more,mega cooling...pointless since you could buy a ATI Radeon 9600PRO and overclock this little gem to insane levels and WHOOP the living hell out of any Nvidia card in HalfLife 2.

I would direct you towards ATI for your next vid card,they heat less,perform better and cost less.Nuff said

Well, that should work well then... maybe in the somewhat distant future I'll add an ATI... the TI200 will have to suffice for a while...

Just to double check, I can use the DDR400 memory even though my processor only has a 333 FSB (unless I o/c it). Correct?

Correct,you could by even the latest and fastest PC4000 memory and use it at a slower speed.But frankly anything above PC3200(400DDR)is a grand waste of money since over 3200XP rating all Athlons say "NAH NO MORE" and will make your system very...unstable.

Proved in testing over and over.Unless supercooling is used and voltage is raised.But then...why spend 500-$1000 on supercooling when you can buy in a few months the UBBER Pentium 4 at 3200MHz with 2.5MB(yes 2.5megabytes of)cache!!This CPU will trounce the supercooled AMD chips(unless you use the 64BIT Opteron in a specific app).

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Ear... I will switch the OS to XP Pro, I think. As of now, the comp is looking like this:

Enermax CS-305-S case with 350W PSU

Abit NF7 nForce2 mobo (400FSB)

Athlon XP2500+ Barton core

TaiSol fan+heatsink

512MB DDR400 Corsair RAM

80GB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM, 8MB cache, serial ATA HDD

Lite-On 52x CD-RW

geForce3 TI200 (until I can get something better)

Win XP Pro

Look decent?

Looks fine to me. Personally I would use two Western Digital Raptors if you want to go serial but what you got will do the trick. I'd also go bigger with the power supply if you plan to O/C because then you don't have to worry about weather or not your PS is holding back your O/C. Enermax is good and that is what I mostly use but I have had a few Antec and IMHO they are better. I know this sounds stupid because I use Enermax but that is because I get a good deal on them from the place I buy all my parts. If it makes you feel any better I have gotten more than a 1000Mhz O/C on a 350 Enermax but I didn't have much else in that machine.

Yea system looks good but couple points:

Its better to have 2 sticks of identical ram so you can use dual channel on memory controller. This will give you a slight speed increase - but for this you will either have to get 2x256 or 2x512. Better get a kit with CAS2.

Now for heatsink fan - i personally like Zalman 7000Cu. Don't know if it will fit your case/mb combo though.

HD - if you have EXTRA cash - get a 36 gig WD Raptor ( 10.000 RPM SATA disk - fast as hell, very close to SCSI perfomance).

On Motherboard - i assume you are getting NF7-S which has SOundStorm ( DolbyDigital encoder 5.1) - right?

With good colling and good parts - you can push your CPU upto ~2.6 real GHz.

But your rig looks good right now... im just talking about EXTRA stuff.

For video i recommend Radeon anywhere from 9500 (non pro) and up. Its best to have 8 piplines and 256bit access on memory. Cuz some radeons are downgraded to use 4 pipes and 128bit access.

What I really want is a dual G5...

On the other hand - i can take an applebread 2400+(2000 real) CPU and make a full-on Barton out of it, then clock it to 2.6 real Ghz... So to get close to Barton 3200+ all i need is a $50 CPU and a good MB :) like Abit NF7-S

A 2500 Barton core AthlonXP can beoverclocked with ease to 3200XP level,but what I am after is a level no barton will touch and the FX51 non overclocked eats any Barton.And when the FX51 gets a good boost...it untouchable.

Only the P4 3.2 Extreme can overtake it in Quake 3(Q3 engeine based games).

hey ear - i read that the fx-51 can actually hit 2.8ghz, with proper cooling.

this means a performance rating of between 4000-4500+!!

and imo, performance is not all about the mhz or ghz.... its all about how much instructions a cpu can crank out per cycle - and how many cycles it cranks per second.

the above mentioned is true mostly for graphics intensive software, but for other things that require pure speed - then the greater the ghz, the better the run (p4 takes the cake in this circumstance).