Industrial La Scala's Crossover/Drivers

lar418

I have the two piece Industrial La Scala's made after 1982.

I've read allot about upgrading the crossover. They currently have the "Type AL" and I plan on building the "Type A". They sound pretty good now, but want to improve them if possible. I'm using them in a second system mated with a Sony DVP-7000 CD/DVD and a McIntosh MA6100 integrated amp (70w/ch).

I opened them up and it looks like one of the crossovers had an oil leak. The woofer is stamped K-43 and has a K-43-E label on it. The tweeter has a K-77-M label but, the mid K-400 horn also has a K-43-E label on the driver. I thought that this speaker had a K-55 driver like the standard version.

The next strange thing was that the wires connecting the crossover to the mid-driver had the leads tined with solder, bent in a j-shape and just hooked around the eyelets. I was amazed at this connection. I've been building speakers for over twenty-five years and have never seen a connection like this.

First, is the "Type A" a good way to go or should I go with the ALK crossover?

Second, any thoughts on the mid-driver label?

Third, is this a standard connection for the mid?

Thanks,

Larry 1.gif

Hi Larry

Welcome to the Forum.

My Khorns are from the same vintage and had the AK network, basically just like the AL for the LAS. I replaced mine with ALK's and love them.

You may want to contact John Albright to ask about the A's. I believe he has built them for his LAS's

If you are using them for home use, and do not need the extra power capability of the Industrial, you may want to replace the K43 woofers with K33's. They can only take 100 watts, but give a bit better horn bass.

JM

Thanks for the welcome,

I see there is allot of debate on the forum about which is better, the type A or the ALK. I am a little worried about the 6db roll-off on the tweeter with the type "A".

This is for a fun system in my basement. The La Scala's are too big for the family room. In my main system, all but 2 of my 6 speakers in my family room are hidden. (Wife factor, she likes the sound, but they would dominate the room too much!)

How do I get in touch with John Albright?

LM