Started retesting all my subs,interesting

TheEAR

Today I used Stereophile Test CD 2 track 16 bass decade 1/2 octave warble tones.

Started with the Klipsch RSW subs,well the RSW10 starts to fall below 50Hz,still quite strong at 40Hz but at 31.5Hz its weak.

The RSW12 is a much better performer,its very powerful at 31.5Hz and still good at 25Hz!The RSW15 starts to fall where the RSW12 starts,only more output at 25Hz,and still a hint at 20Hz where the RSW12 is gone.

Also tested my Sunfire subs and Carver Knight Shadow subs.The Junior starts to fall very sharply at 31.5Hz and below is dead,the Mark II starts to fall at 25Hz,sounds most potent at 31.5Hz(room gain here for sure).The Signature is very strong down to 25Hz,at 20Hz its still potent but apears to work very hard to keep up(the PR flies like a jackhammer).

The surprise came from the Carver(least expensive of the Bob Carver subs by far),the sealed KS is solid down to 25Hz,below its very weak(considering the size,the sealed cabinet and the price its still very impressive).

Then I moved to the PolkAudio PSW404 and 505 score about the same extension,a solid 31.5Hz,the larger and more powerful PSW505

having a stronger output at 31.5Hz,below both drop like stones.Still for most aplications a solid 31.5Hz is plenty low and I use these as PC subs.

A side note the PolkAudio PSW404(paid $450 CANADIAN)outperform the Klipsch RSW10(paid $1100 CANADIAN)at 31.5Hz! So more expensive does in no way mean lower and louder,however the RSW10 is a more defined and cleaner sounding sub.Better built quality and you guessed better components used.

After I ended in my larger room testing the HGS18,this big sealed sub was very powerful down to 25Hz in room and started to drop slowly.And had some good output at 20Hz.I know this unit goes to 16Hz with ease(well the output being lowish).

Next came the Revel B15,as here monster output to 25Hz,at 20 while strong it was clear the output diminished in a BIG way.Well compact sealed cabinets are not ideal for deep bass.

Last came the Aerial SW12,this sub was the most linear of them all,solid to 20Hz!And using a 12" woofer(on the small side compared to the 15" in the B15 and 18" in the Velo).

Like the good ole Ultra subs the Aerial goes deep and with power. 1.gif

This tells me I need three SVS(PB2-ISD,Plus and Ultra)then I will get a good deal more 20hz power

And for pipe organs at least one Adire Pinnacle series Everest for the glorious 16Hz quaking.

Bottom line,to have a real serious 16Hz output you need BIG drivers in BIG cabinets powered by BIG amps.

Now my right ear is pulsating! All this high SPL testing takes a toll,damn I will not push my subs this far again,hearing is more important than any audio gear.14.gif

"Last came the Aerial SW12,this sub was the most linear of them all,solid to 20Hz!And using a 12" woofer(on the small side compared to the 15" in the B15 and 18" in the Velo)"

Thats very interesting,9.gif some good results theEAR. I would like to know more about this sub I did a search on google but didnt come up with too much other than user reviews. Do you have to order those from the states or do they ship them to canada? And for the price is it one of the better bargains out of these large beasts?

Interesting info there Ear. I guess the Polk subs aren't too bad for the money.

I once had an ear ache for 3 days after fooling around measuring different output levels.

You better go easy on the testing or you will have to change your name from TheEar to TheEarAche.9.gif

Interesting to info... so the Ariel and Velo are still the kings of deep (for now)... 12" ported vs 18" sealed. You wouldn't happen to have "documented" the readings? Tables and graphs are always fun... 1.gif

Rest theEARs...

Rob

PS: Oh... by the way, the Everest is actually an Acoustic Visions sub using the Adire driver (Adire actually make sub too, but none with the Tumult yet)

Yes true the Adire Tumult is used in Acoustic Visions Everest sub.Sorry always mix these two up.

No I will not do any MAX SPL testing,some of the subs I have are way to powerful and capable and I dont want to lose hearing.My right ear is still pulsating!

14.gif

Oh yes forgot to list my Velodyne SPL1000,its solid to 31.5,still some very audible output at 25Hz and dies at 20Hz.A lot like the Mark II with less grunt at 31.5Hz and plays a bit cleaner.

Well thst is it for now,like I said MY RIGHT EAR is PULSATING.Now I have a built in subwoofer.

----------------

On 9/14/2003 11:03:26 PM CO1 wrote:

Interesting info there Ear. I guess the Polk subs aren't too bad for the money.

I once had an ear ache for 3 days after fooling around measuring different output levels.

You better go easy on the testing or you will have to change your name from TheEar to TheEarAche.
9.gif
----------------

Or if he gets too much bass - TheWhat?

----------------

On 9/14/2003 9:59:15 PM TheEAR wrote:

Last came the Aerial SW12,this sub was the most linear of them all,solid to 20Hz!And using a 12" woofer(on the small side compared to the 15" in the B15 and 18" in the Velo).

Like the good ole Ultra subs the Aerial goes deep and with power.
1.gif

----------------

Did you know the woofer in the 1st Ultra driver and the Aerial SW12 are both variations of the Audiomobile MASS 2012.

----------------

On 9/14/2003 9:59:15 PM TheEAR wrote:

Well thst is it for now,like I said MY RIGHT EAR is PULSATING.Now I have a built in subwoofer.
----------------

Be careful, I have to go to the ENT tomorrow because everything in my right ear is kind of quiet right now and every now and then it sounds like I'm listening to a blown speaker.

Frankie,

Yep checked a good few high rez pics of the said woofer,yep the MAss 2012 looks a lot like the Aerial SW12 woofer.No wonder this woofer(or its variations)are used in many high end subs.It pumps serious air

Only the SVS TV12 and Adire Sadhara 12 inchers pump even more and look even better.I may buy the Adire Sadhara woofer and swap the Aerial 12".Just for fun

But I doubt I will get a good deal more output as the cabinet would have to be re-ported and apropriate amp used(not the 400W RMS Aerial plate is whimpy,its the best quality plate amp you can find).

I discovered last night hearing should be protected and I will not do any high SPL sub tests,its plain dumb.WHo needs to hear what 120dB at 31.5Hz sounds/feel like? Its damaging for the hearing and nothing more.I will let T. Nousaine and company blast the subs and test max outputs.At least hearing protection is mandatory.

----------------

On 9/15/2003 6:19:17 PM TheEAR wrote:

I may buy the Adire Sadhara woofer and swap the Aerial 12".Just for fun. But I doubt I will get a good deal more output as the cabinet would have to be re-ported and apropriate amp used...

----------------

You are probably right as the Sadhara seems to be designed more along the lines the Tumult15 and the StrykeHE15... very long throw, small cabinet, and quite inefficient. The Ariel seems to have been designed with quite different factors... long throw, large cabinet, and relatively efficient... actually more along the lines of the AV15, Tempest, or Lambda PB series. Note that I haven't modeled the new Sadhara yet... so my assumptions may be a little off. 12.gif

----------------

On 9/15/2003 6:19:17 PM TheEAR wrote:

I discovered last night hearing should be protected and I will not do any high SPL sub tests,its plain dumb.WHo needs to hear what 120dB at 31.5Hz sounds/feel like?

----------------

Actually when I mentioned numbers earlier, I was thinking more along the lines of "frequency response" than SPL... 2.gif you got to save that hearing or you'll become like the car audio guys enjoying their neon lit, plexiglassed, bandpass box pumping one note. 6.gif

later...

Rob