Coupling for Klipschorn

Hel Guedj

I have seen the type of ornate millwork that you describe in some of the mansions in Newport. The ideal would be to get rid of it but, that is not an option.

Another would be to build false corners. A quick fix that may work is a sheet of 2lb(1 kilo) ethrafoam cut to size accross the back of the wall with the edges feathered somewhat. When the Khorns are pushed back into their corners it should conform somewhat to the moulding and make up for a corner that is less than perfectly square.

You may want to put the ethrafoam in place agianst the corner, mark the pattern of the moulding and carve the pattern out.

The ethrafoam will not harm the antique moulding and will be hidden behind the base bin.

Just a thought. I'm sure other knowledgable members will have other suggestions for you.

Rick

Thanks dear Rick

I thought of a solution of the kind, but maybe I would be better off with wooden panels rather than ethrafoam, as they would better convey the sound waves, or not ?

By the way, how can I be sure of the year my Horns are born ? The serial number is ending with 0002. Does it stand for 2002 ?

All the best from paris, France

Hel

Re: Annee de Klipschorn - send us the serial numbers.

Re: Mouldings - Can you send us a photograph ?

If the moulding is vertical from floor to ceiling you might be able to staple foam pipe insulation to the tailboard to get a seal. Pictures would help us be more specific.

Bienvenue A Le Forum !

"The serial number is ending with 0002. Does it stand for 2002 ?"

Probably not; one of my La Scalas has a serian mumber of 26W721. The W is 1981 and the 26 is supposed to be the 26th day of 1981; 721 is the sequential number for that day. There are other numbering schemes depending on the year. What is the complete number from one of them?

If you build false corners, make them out of plywood. They should be a min. of 40" out in each direction from the tail board. Min. height will be the height of the bass horn, about 39". They must be sturdy, you don't want any vibrations. How you design the corners will depend on how much room you have to work with, and how nice you want them to look.

Welcome to the forum Hel Guedj!

What are the dimensions of your room and where are the K-horns positioned in the room (on the long wall, short wall etc)? General wisdom says to put the speakers on the long wall if the room is not too wide. If your room is narrow and long, false corners can be positioned to angle the speakers into the room thus directing the "sweet spot" deeper into the room, as well as taking care of the moulding issue.

Thanks. Got it. My room is about 40 m2, with indeed a long wall which has got two large fenêtres à la française on it, so it is not available for the Horns.

Therefore the Horns are positioned on the "short" wall, about 5, 5 meters long.

So I will place the false corners as you said.

4.gif