Coupling for Klipschorn

Hel Guedj

Probably one of the best, cheapest, easiest, & best looking solutions I can think of would be to secure 4'x 8' (1/2" min. thickness) sheets of veneered plywood to the wall, one on each side of the corner, using spacers to take up any variations in the wall moulding. Birch veneer isn't too expensive, other woods are available. If the exposed plywood edges bother you, you can buy veneer striping in rolls & glue it on the edges & trim off the excess. Just make sure there isn't a lot of vibration coming from these 'panel overlays'. If there is, use more spacers around the bass horn section. Keep in mind that you're not going to stop the vibration. Even with walls built & secured the way mine are, it's amazing how much vibration can still be induced.

You could probably also use regular drywall sheets the same way & paint them although the edges might be difficult to treat.

Another solution is to build false corners the same way a regular wall is built, 2"x 4" lumber, 16" on center, & drywall over it.

Yet another solution might be (depending on what the moulding is like & where it's creating a problem) would be to remove the original (corner) tail board, & cut a new that fits the moulding. As for the grills, you might try what I did (for different reasons). I took off the connectors that secure the grills to the bass horn. Then, using something like duct tape or double sided tape or foam, you want to basically just use it at the top and/or bottom of the grill to make a snug fit. In this way you can move the grills outward slightly giving a little more space between the wall moulding & the grill. The grills can sit slightly beyond the width of the Khorn (quite frankly I think the speaker looks better & more formidable this way). I did this because my Khorns are secured to the walls & foundation through the tailboard & I needed access to it after the horn was placed in the corner to secure it.

Ultimately you could make new grills.

And if the top section (bottom forms the top of the bass horn) is a problem, I think I would just carefully cut & remove the moulding so the Khorn fits snuggly against the wall. Save the moulding so you can easily replace it.

There are a few issues.

A) The K-Horn has to be placed at or near a corner to perform well. This it true no matter how you achieve a good seal at the back. Again, regardless of the seal at the back, the corner placement allows the corner of the room to be a fourth area of expansion of the horn. The first three are part of the cabinet. I will add that the room itself is a fifth area of concern. That is another subject.

B) As you can see, the last area of expansion within the cabinet is formed when the cabinet is tightly sealed against the two walls and the floor. Part of Mr. Klipsch invention is that the walls of the room subsitute for the back walls of the cabinet. Obviously this is a problem if there is decorative wood work. The little cut out on the tail board is a small accomodation to the problem if there is a baseboard on the wall.

So, I suggest.

B.1) You can see that an an air tight seal against the wall is necessary. My first choice for you is to find some weather stripping foam material. Here in the USA it is about 1 inch (2 cm.) thick and very resiliant. You should be able use that to line the edges of the back of the bass horn so that it seals well against the decorative woodworking, which I'd think in your case stands out from the wall by only 2 cm.

B.2) You can build a plywood structure on the back of the bass horn to re create the back of the horn which the wall would otherwise. I have built this in my home made K-Horns. There may be some issue that the center of the panels have to be linked to the rest of the structure of the cabinet to keep it from vibrating. I leave that to you're woodworking enginuity.

B.3) You can build a false corner. PWK did this. Please do search the forum for "false corners" and it will show up.

I'd be happy to give you more information and more thoughts if necessary.

As mentioned by others, the effort of sealing is well worthwhile.

Best,

Gil

My idea would be to build false corners with a smooth base such as 3/4 inch plywood and make it a solid unit,or as heavy as i could make it and also make it look nice by drywalling or maybe some sort of finish.With the hard smooth base plate on it you could really hook it up to the false corner by silicone,or grippers on bottom of your K-Horns...dont forget the tailboard and horzontil seals for the bass bin...HDBR has some posts about putting silicone on bottom to create a seal.Let us see what you decide....rick2.gif p.s.sure is nice to see a female into K-Horns...welcome to the forum