http://www.threedegrees.com/

justin_tx_16

Justin

This looks rather sweet! Got two PCs here. One running 2003 other does not have service pack1 on it though. May have to fix that issue though so I can install this and see if it's any good.

Looks like Netmeeting, MSN Messenger, Media Player all wrapped up into one.

Dunno, I didn't take it as a negative against Microsoft.

I know a lot of people don't like Microsoft, I personally do. Sure there are some glitches here and there in their software but by and large, they have done wonders for the PC industry. Think of all the opportunities Microsoft has created for people, just how many millionares have been created. How many jobs have been created... People generally don't look at it like that. Really where would we be now if it was not for Microsoft? MAC? I closed up architecture? Na no thanks... Or worse UNIX... Good gawd, can you image trying to teach your mother or kids now to use UNIX? Yeah right...

----------------

On 9/18/2003 10:35:09 AM m00n wrote:

I know a lot of people don't like Microsoft

----------------

Well, count me as one that cannot stand MicroSoft. I'll admit that some of thier products are pretty nice - for example, they finally got the OS right with Windows 2000, only to screw it up again with that Product Activation and DRM crap in Windows XP and beyond.

As for Unix - well, I do 99% of my development work on Unix, and I much rather use Unix than Microsoft Windows. I have never, ever had any of the kinds of problems and crashes, not to mention the "virus of the week club", like I do with Windows.

You don't want to get me started on some of the illegal business practices that Microsoft is accused of engaging in.

I think I better stop before this thread turns into a big Pro-MS vs Anti-MS flamewar.

In the end it comes down use whichever product works best for your application.

(As I am typing this using Mozilla on a Sun Solaris 8 workstation - Ultra SPARC 5 10.gif)

I will conceede that UNIX is very powerfull, it has some cool functionality, but the user experiance is.... Well... shall we just say it's shat! It's not user friendly and everytime I think of UNIX I think of my geek, nurd, delburt, pocket protector wearing college instructor I had who taught UNIX... I really hated that guy! Not because he was a geek, but rather because he was everything I said and had a complex to boot. He was such a donkey to put it politely.

Oh and BTW, how are you weathering out the storm man?

----------------

On 9/18/2003 11:04:04 AM m00n wrote:

I will conceede that UNIX is very powerfull, it has some cool functionality, but the user experiance is.... Well... shall we just say it's shat! It's not user friendly and everytime I think of UNIX I think of my geek, nurd, delburt, pocket protector wearing college instructor I had who taught UNIX... I really hated that guy! Not because he was a geek, but rather because he was everything I said and had a complex to boot. He was such a donkey to put it politely.

----------------

The newest versions are actually very user friendly with a good GUI. I'll admit there are some nice features in the user interface in MS Windows, for example the taskbar. Unix has gotten a lot more "plug-n-play"

----------------

Oh and BTW, how are you weathering out the storm man?

----------------

So far, just a bit of wind and rain - but we'll see as the day and evening progresses. They are predicting sustained winds 50-70mph with gusts between 80 and 100 mph. Yesterday, I went and stored all the deck chairs and the grill in the shed. I also went ahead and mowed the lawn - one less hassle to deal with during cleanup during the weekend. I'll be taking pictures of anything that gets interesting during this (one of the reasons why I went and bought the digital camera).

I'll have to grab one from my linux box at home. It seems that Sun, in its infinite wisdom, does not let me save screen shots in a file format that is supported on the web, then they don't provide any image conversion utilities.

However, here is a website (from www.kde.org) that has several screen shots from the KDE 3.1 GUI - which is a very common desktop GUI for Linux boxes.

m00n: here's me doing a build of a project I worked on on Solaris with CDE: http://www.geocities.com/damonrpayne/images/cde.jpg

skonopa: most Sun machines come with "xv" which you could use to get a screenshot from within CDE, etc.

The vast majority of my background is solaris/linux/open source/java/C++ . I still have a linux box and run my site off PHP, and I'm still constantly called to be an "expert witness" for data persistence in Java.

However, .NET is pretty slick and Java programmers are becomming easy to find. So I jumped ship recently and began a Microsoft practice at my consulting company. Yeah, most operating systems in the past sucked and all that, and don't get me started on VB coders. But they are finally starting to do some things right.

Greetings Gentlemen,

Until WinXP I used Red Hat and its variants probably 90% of the time and dual booted into Win98 for the few programs and games that would not work in linux.

I believe that it is nice that they are making it more user friendly (ie windows-like)but they are just screwing up the stability of the OS and introducing conflicts in the apps. Who really needs 30+ ways to play mp3's?

While I still have Mandrake linux on my old P2 box, my new P4 is exclusively WinXp Pro. It has been up since March except for storms etc. and hasn't crashed once. I think MS has finally gotten the stability problems fixed. Either that or it is due to my new Intel MB.

There are still the issues of DRM and activation, but there are ways around that. And yes I did pay for my XP Pro. 9.gif

Greg

Steve,

Batten down the hatches and ride this storm out safely. Don't be like Kelly and be a hero. The Loon he is probably surfing. 2.gif

damonrpayne.... Ohhh. look at that. C++. It's been a while since I wrote software in that. My language of choice now is C#. The .net framework is very nice. If you don't have visual studio.net and you want to have a free tool for writing ASP.NET apps, go to ASP.NET's web site Then download the WebMatrix tool. For a free tool, WOW. I think the .net framework is still a sepparate download though.

m00n: I have VS.NET 2003. I like the syntax of C# too, takes the best of C++ and Java; its really a bummer when clients want to work in VB.NET because they think their VB people can just jump right in. I'm doing mostly web service stuff right now but some ASP and compact framework development.

----------------

On 9/18/2003 3:16:55 PM damonrpayne wrote:

its really a bummer when clients want to work in VB.NET because they think their VB people can just jump right in.

----------------

Oh dude tell me about it! VB.NET has dramatically changed. Even if most of the syntax is the same, the underlying libraries are not. they still have to learn the .net framework. I agrued this point over and over with my manager. I finally won. hehe.

As of late I have been doing a lot of XML / XSLT work. XSLT, Talk about a trippy technology. I have been working with it for over a year now and I still don't have a full grasp of it. If you are not aware of what it is, you could say it's to XML what SQL is to a database. In a nutshell anyway.

I have a Sony Vaio that will no longer run a Windows operating system, I have no idea why.

Anyways, I have tried SuSE and Mandrake on it, Mandrake works but is ugly and not very quick, graphical interface could use some work (like 8.2 or something). SuSE is most awesome only it will not work with my LCD (Samsung 191T). The resolution is so screwed up that i have to scroll the screen to see the entire GUI and even then things are squished horizontally.

Is RedHat a better distribution? I might try that.

Back to my subject though, has anyone tried out 3Degrees?

----------------

On 9/18/2003 10:29:24 AM damonrpayne wrote:

And what's wrong with Microsoft?

Damon Payne

Microsoft Line of Business Manager

Centare Group, Ltd.
----------------

I have spent so many thousands of dollars with your company, but I am still a criminal to you 3.gif

I am running XP Pro, and it is so very stable. I am enjoying it.

Heh, I doubt you spent thousands with _my_ company, I dont' work for Microsoft I just run the MS consulting practice here. don't worry about being a criminal, just because I happily use MS development tools doesn't mean I drank the coolaid and have a shrine to Bill Gates in my basement.

m00n: I did a lot of XML/XSLT/XPATH about 3 years ago in an enterprise java system. I'm not real happy with it due to the fact that with large DOMs the performance goes straight to hell real fast. One of the best uses of it though is if you need to make an app that's "skinable", or for transforming SOAP messages in some web service situations. Its not a good general purpose UI tool, which is what most people use it for.

Ah, if I only knew as much about audio as I do about software systems.

Oh yeah. I agree. For some reason a lot of people think that XML/XSLT is like the second coming of Christ around here. The .NET XSLT parser seems to be adiqate for the work I am doing with it. In nutshell, what I am using it for is I get a huge chunk of XML, I then take the XSLTs and build web pages out of it. We.... well, it's too difficult to explain how we run our websites on this back end system to describe in one email.

Me I could live with out XSLT. I mean it's ok. but... It's... ewwww.