KHorn Placement

DeltaT

I know the KHorns are supposed to be placed in a corner. I recently aquired a pair but i dont think corner placement is likely. Whats the reasoning behind the corner placement and what will be lost by not placing them in a corner? Also, is there a way to "trick" them into thinking they are in a corner?

Kurt

Kurt,

The corner is actually part of the bass horn. With out the corner placement you will have extreamly poor bass response. The trick is called a "False Corner". Do a search on this BB for false corner and you will get some interesting threads on the topic. I think there is a link in one of the threads to a copy of an issue of the "Dope From Hope" covering the construction of false corners. PWK himself used them in his home.

Dan

Klipschorns that arn't in a corner to finish the last fold of the horn suffer most from 250Hz to 400Hz. An area that is a little weak to begin with. False corners are nice to use, because you can toe the speaker in or out. False corners will also provide a better fit for the speaker then a room corner.

Q-man, I haven't measured, but I am surprised to find out that without corner walls, the Khorns suffer in the high upper bass range. I would think that the walls provide extension in the deep bass area (below 40Hz.) Do both areas roll-off, or is the upper bass more noticable? Guess I will have to pull these puppies out from the corner and see for myself.

2.gif

as said by the others corners are NOT optional with k-horns. the mid and lower bass suffers hugely without corners and a good seal with the walls. as mentioned false corners work well, if you have trouble finding the plans let me know and I will sned a copy to you. regards, tony