Upgrade Bug Chorus II or Forte II

Ufanco

Hi all,

Currently I have a pair of Quartets, Academy center channel and 2 pairs of KG 1.2 for the surround and back surround channels. Lately I been getting more into muti-channel music (dvd-a and sacd) and feel its time to upgrade the front speakers.

I am planning on using the Quartets as the surround speakers and was wondering what would be the better match the Chorus II or Forte II for my Quartets?

The quartet, forte and chorus are all in the extended Heritage family so either the forte or chorus will match your existing speakers fine.

At some point in time I have owned, and / or still own, almost every flavor of Heritage and extended Heritage speakers including both the forte and chorus. The forte does have more bass compared to the Quartet and Heresy. But like I have stated here in the past, IMO The Chorus was one of my all time favorite speakers. It trully has the BIG heritage sound, with a very flat but detailed overall sound making it great for any style of listening.

The only exception would be if you have a smaller room say something 12 feet wide or smaller, then I would go for the forte. In smaller rooms the forte is the shining star by far of the klipsh extended heritage family.

JM

I vote you go with the Forte IIs. Check out the specks on the Klipsch Site. The Chorus IIs are great speakers and would do a excellent job but the Forte II - Quartet match-up is just about perfect. Also, there may be too much of a spread in efficiency between the Chorus II and the Quartets. 101db Chorus II, 99db Forte II and 97.5db Quartet. Some, on this forum, suggest keeping the efficiencies close is very important. I have the Forte IIs and Quartets. Wish I had an Academy to go with them!

Great system. It is almost identical to what I had about 18 months ago, just replace your Quartets with my Forte IIs. Now having both Chorus II and Forte II in the same system, realistically, I don't think you can go wrong with either set. As JM said above, they are all from the same "family" so will match very well, especially with that Academy center.

Forte II does indeed have the best bass output between the three, and that was what originally sold me on them; when I started my HT, I spent a bit more $$ and went Forte II rather than Quartet. I really loved the overall sound from the Chorus II, I just couldn't afford them at the time.

Now that I have been able to sample them all, I think I'd vote for the Chorus II as the best of the three. Sure you give up a bit of bass against the Forte II, but Chorus II has an even sweeter mid/high horn section, which, to me, compensates for the 7Hz less on the bottom end. Besides, since you will be using it in a HT/surround environment, if you have a sub (and you should), that will flesh out the bass for all the speakers.

Also as JM said, if you have a smaller room, then the footprint of the Forte II might suit you better, but they aren't too much different in size;

Forte II: 35.5"x16.5"x12.25"

Chorus II: 39"x18.5"x15.5"

Why not get a pair of both? Then you can have the Chorus II/Academy up front, Forte II surrounds, and Quartets as surround backs! If I get a better room for HT, I am seriously thinking about that. BTW, what do you have powering them and what SACD/DVD-A player do you have?

Hi jhawk92,

Powering system with a denon 3803. Currently using the Pioneer 563 for sacd and DVD-a great unit for the price. If I am not mistaken I think I got the one pair of kg 1.2 from you. Since I also have a svs 20-39 PC-Plus subwoofer maybe the Chorus II might be a better choice. Just need to convince the other half that we need bigger speakers :)

Don't sweat it, either way you go will work splendidly. You already have the Academy and that is by far the hardest piece of the puzzle when setting up an all Heritage HT.

I originally thought of looking for a set of

ChorusII's or another set of ForteII's to go with the ForteII's I already had when I decided to upgrade but quickly changed my mind when I was WAY outbid for an Academy on ebay. It's just crazy what some are willing to pay for something they have never seen.

So I bought the whole Reference 7 system and haven't looked back.

I thought handle looked familiar. Hope they are doing well. The Denon 3803 is a pretty sweet unit. I don't know much about the 563, but I am looking at getting one of the Denon combi players before too long so I can see what SACD is all about. The 20-39PC+ is a great sub and will match well with either the Forte or Chorus. Realistically, you can't go wrong with either pair.