Heresys now or Cornwalls later?

Yossarian

The models of the big ole Heritage line are more similar than NOT. The bigger they are, the better they sound. Each successive model improves over the previous one. Although the differences are slight, it was shocker for me to briefly audition, in my own home, with the same music and equipment, Mike Lindsays unmodified LaScalas. They were so much better in the mid-range than my Cornwalls that when I got the chance, I jumped on a pair of Khorns (same mid-range horn).

The Cornwalls certainly having more of the mid-bass (80-100Hz) punch. Either the Cornwalls or the much smaller Heresys are going to sensitive enough to reveal deficiencies in the your front-end equipment. Both of them will need the powerful sub that you have, only the Cornwall less so. You dont say what the models are, or what their price is, and that would certainly make all of the difference. Are Cornwalls worth twice the price? Maybe NOT in a small room, unless you are at college and want to show off.

Myself? I wish I bought the Khorns, even at four times the price of my Cornwalls, decades ago. True it is like having a top fuel dragster crammed into the living room, but when you love race cars, it is the only way to go!

2.gif

When you guys say that the room can be too small for Cornwalls, how small are we talking? My room (I'm a college student who works in a residence hall, so I'm rather limited here for a couple more years) is about 11 by 16. I have a pair of heresies in here right now and love the sound from them, but I agree that the low low bass is rather anemic. For most "real" instruments I don't notice it too much, but as soon as there's anything electronic, the bass is noticeably weak.

I'm in a big debate about whether or not I would want bigger speakers in here. The heresies are already taking a significant chunk of floor space, but considering that the stereo is on in my room more often than not, I'm willing to sacrifice some. Any thoughts? It's literally a little concrete box, so I'm sure the acoustics suck, but anyway.

I'm afraid it'd pretty much have to go along the long wall. I also have to sleep in here and have space for a desk, so I'm rather limited furniture wise. I might have to start looking into a set of cornwalls, though. Heck, I could probably squeeze and get a decent start on a heritage surround sound setup if I were so inclined.

I would sneak a powerful sub-woofer into the corner, or under the desk. It will make a noticeable difference in both movies and music. If you get a really good sub now, you can upgrade your big ole horns by selling them for what you paid for them. Plus, years from now you may want Khorns instead of Cornwalls. Where Heresys can fit on a desk until you can put them in ideal position, the Cornies will NOT. Besides, since DVD is catching on, DVD-audio may be coming into the mainstream soon. Soon you will want five of those babies for 5.1 channel HT and surround sound.

2.gif