Help needed dating my klipschorns and crossover question

shaman

Your Klipschorns are from 1989, the AK-2 is one of the least desireable crossovers to have. They are easy to convert to an AK-3 which was the subsequent model produced. Just replace the (2) 70uf capacitors housed on the woofer access door with a single 100uf Solen "Fast Cap" or equivalent. You also need to replace the 4mh coil in the midrange circuit with a 5mh coil. The parts were about $80 and it took me about 30 minutes to do both. If you really want to go crazy you can replace all the components with those of higher quality. I intend to replace the 13uf cap in the midrange circuit with one of a higher quality next. I would love to have a set of Al's crossover but they are a little pricey for me.

Search Technical or Updating for the schematics. Then you can see what the differences between the two crossovers are. The AK-2 and AK-3 are quite similar and both should sound pretty good if they are working properly. The AK/AL/AB networks are the really bad ones. If you rebuild yours (or just build new ones) using polypropylene film and foil caps and premium air-core inductors, they will sound noticibly better. The cost is why Klipsch did not use those components until the 2002 K-horn (Type AK-4 network).