Sony's digital amplifiers

Parrot

It will also be interesting to see what Mark Shifter brings to the digital amp game. Where he feels he can't play in the same consumer AVR game as Denon he has expressed a perception of being able to add value to digital amps and is also coming out with a standard pre/pro & multi-channel amp product (~$2500 pre/pro & $1500 amps) a la Anthem AVM20, etc.

His connections with Asia (price) and engineers from the industry (Dan Laufman

Jade Labs Inc.--do you know this outfit?) along with a manufacturer direct model may provide some interesting products. Using Mark Levinson products as aspirational the upcoming 2-channel, HT stack and digital amps may be worth checking out.

Mayb a nice "in the middle" between big companies and "mom & pop"? Of course the electronics are designed with modern cone and ribbon speakers in mind and not horns thus 200w, etc.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

on all-in-ones...WITHOUT A DOUBT,one part or the other WILL break first-then what do you do w/the other part? they are generally designed w/asthetics and convienience as paramount, performance falling in somewhere down the line from there.

on Sony digital amplifiers...i HAVE heard the new ES receivers, and the higher-end ones are impressively ENGINEERED, but i didn't hear them ON KLIPSCH, so i will only say they sounded nice.i also like the all-digital-to-speaker wire(almost)sacd capability.

on Sony audio...MY PARTICULAR model of ES receiver is their BEST effort EVER in a surround-sound receiver(with the POSSIBLE exception of their current t.o.l. 9000ES)

details: burr-brown d-to-a converters/32-bit floating decimal point SHARC processors-VERY powerful processing capability (how ya like THAT mobilehomeless-even more awesome than the dishnet6000w/8vsb digital tuner blah,blah2.gif ) gold capacitors throughout w/VERY close tolerances for performance specs.parralell push-pull output transistors.made in Japan(not malasia,china,etc.)HUGE power supply.non-resonant chassis design. S-fin heat sinks to prevent resonance.Heavy,64lbs.!!(oh yeah-it sounds GREAT!)

how did Sony respond to the market sucking these up like candy? well, at $1500 retail(which,btw i wouldn't sell mine for today, and I paid ALOT less)sony was having trouble selling the same-model year pre-pro/amp combo at $3,500 because the receiver's performance was basically identical.so they stopped production :(

avman.