Parrot

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 10/5/2003 3:21:44 PM mobile homeless wrote:

So far, digital seems like a neat topology with some promising aspects. From what I have heard and discussed and worked with, I dont think it will move high quality tube amplification off the racks in the near future, sonically speaking. On the other hand, if I was a solid state amp manufacturer, I would be a bit worried.

kh

----------------

When I heard Leo's baby amp I was really impressed. We had just finished a Moondog listening session and they were about 85-90% of the way there, sonically.

I was thinking that a "rack" of these little amps (5-ch) would be just the ticket ... Rack 'em up and off you go ... without the heat.

Of course, nobody can launch these products anymore without a TON of money.

Mobile, the Sony units are different than other digital amps so you and I have the exact same listening experience with them: Zero. I hope you don't fail to recognize the humor in a situation which finds two people arguing the merits and demerits of something neither one has heard. Is the Klipsch Forum a great place or what.

minn_male42

I'm an electrical engineer. Implementations of circuits like the TA1101B are my business. I designed an smt pc assembly that I felt would maximize the TA1101B for use with my Forte-II speakers. Since the design involved a printed circuit board and smt component placement, I had 10 of the pc assemblies fabricated. Kelly has one of the amps I built based on that assembly.

leok

sir,

i do have respect for your abilities....

but it comes down to the fact that it is a "home made amp"..... only 10 made....

not exactly a commercial venture......

no offense intended...

but i feel more confident in the commercial ventures from sony and carver professional....

esp. after talking personally with the carver professional engineers about the development and research on their tripath amplifiers.....

as i was told..."it is easy to build an amplifier on the tripath chip...but not easy to make it sound great with low distortion....esp. at higher power demands"

I can't imagine why any knowledgeable consumer would prefer a custom designed digital amp, made in a small run, designed and tweaked specifically for high efficency speakers...over a mass market offering from Sony.

If leok ever makes another run of his amps, and offers one for sale, I would love the opportunity to purchase one.

mmmmm....let me see.....

a professional amplifer company with a team of engineers trying to build an amplifier that will produce high amounts of power very reliably with extremely low amounts of distortion......(i'm referring to the carver professional amps here)...also these amps have received rave reviews online from many different individuals who have them in their systems.... more than 10 different individuals....

or....one electrical engineer building 10 amplifiers of low wattage power... in his spare time....(maybe a hobby?).....that he complains has distortion problems....

you decide....

----------------

On 10/5/2003 7:28:29 PM minn_male42 wrote:

sir,

i do have respect for your abilities....

but it comes down to the fact that it is a "home made amp"..... only 10 made....

not exactly a commercial venture......

no offense intended...

but i feel more confident in the commercial ventures from sony and carver professional....

esp. after talking personally with the carver professional engineers about the development and research on their tripath amplifiers.....

as i was told..."it is easy to build an amplifier on the tripath chip...but not easy to make it sound great with low distortion....esp. at higher power demands"

----------------

There is so much beauty in your post...

Carver... The dream of a lifetime.

Have a beer Homer before it's too late!

Minn,

I have one of Leok's amps and Craig has borrowed it for a while. It is a prototype; a couple of steps before commercialization, but fully functional and reliable.

The P6D pwm amp is better match to horn speakers than the 3 other SS amps I used with my Chorus II. It will be part of my audio arsenal for the next generation to understand the concept.

Bestowing some kind of trust in the profound knowledge of Sony compared to Leok is flawed.

I know for a fact Leok never signed Michael Jackson to a contract.

Case closed!

Society of present time is bent on dispelling the contribution of the inventor.

An inventor, as an individual of the renisance or early industrial revolution, was revered and honored.

Now they are most times classed as a geek, loner or social outcast. Sad.

In my life time, I hope some inventor comes up with a cost effective replacment for fosil fuel.

I am not holding my breath for Sony, Exxon or GE to do so.2.gif

The P6D pwm amp is better match to horn speakers than the 3 other SS amps I used with my Chorus II. It will be part of my audio arsenal for the next generation to understand the concept.

so why then is this "inventor" claiming that high power tripath amps of low distortion are not possible????

did no one else on this forum bother do to some research on the threads i posted linking to the audiocircle discussions????

what other amps have you used with your chorus II's???

take a few minutes and read the following thread....at least the posters there listed what amps that they have compared the digital amps to....

http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/viewtopic.php?t=4782

----------------

On 10/5/2003 8:02:12 PM minn_male42 wrote:

painful reality and edster.....

so do you have an intelligent response or just a smart-aleck comeback?

----------------

Dear Homer,

Bob Carver, aka "God's gift to audio", along with Sony have an army of engineers to put a nice product to a price point. Then marketing department take care of the rest making sure uncle Homers of this world will buy their products.

Matthew Polk wears a white lab coat in his ads, doesn't make him someone I would trust more over Bruce Edgar.

You may disagree.

Leo's implementation of the Tripath chip is specifically engineered to have the lowest distortion possible in the low power area where big horns run most of the time. Considering Carver's history of building gazillion watt amplifiers, and Sony's dedication to the mass market -- I'm sure neither have tweaked their designs to excel in the low power area. As has already been pointed out, all of these amps are rated a full output, just like SS amps.