will a good CD player make a huge difference?

dan2017

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried the Cambridge for a couple weeks. Much too bright for my taste. Traded it along with a few hundred extra clams for my Rega. The remote control for the Cambridge sucks. You have to be within six feet of the cdp for the remote to work.

You can buy a Rega Planet in great condition with original box for shipping,etc. on Audiogon for $300 or so. I doubt you could find a better sounding player anywhere for so little. And if you buy one and don't like it someone will buy it for what about what you paid for it.

These players have achieved somewhat of a "cult" status for good reason--they're GOOD.

Try a BBE 482i if you really want to tame lousy cds-

Live presence is restored to your recordings.

Highs are clearer and more finely detailed. Lows are tight, well defined and harmonically rich.

Guitars will be brought out of the mud with clarity, definition, and harmonic complexity. Each note of your chords will be distinct and cut through.

Basses take on a rich earthy sound with an extremely tight, punchy bottom end with presence, clarity, and bite on top.

Vocals will no longer be buried in the mix - enhance them without adding undue gain.

Expand the spatial dimension of stereo effects like reverb and chorus

Really???? I'm using a Technics SL-MC4 now. I hate this skipping devil.

For two hundred bones I can sound so much better?

I'm A/B ing crossovers as we speak. Old B opposed to BEC's.

Needless to say the sweetspot moved four feet over in my room...

What an improvement!

These players have achieved somewhat of a "cult" status for good reason--they're GOOD.

I see: Cults are GOOD and the reason they're good is because they're

GOOD. I'll have to remember that if I am ever asked to provide an

elementary tautology.

Does this apply to the Moonies of the Unification Church and Jim

Jones's followers of the People's Temple too? Were these cults GOOD

because they achieved cult status?

This was one of your funniest posts ever, Allan. Even if it was unwittingly, who cares. Thanks.

Paul, again you show us how narrow your views are--even when defining the term "cult," a word used to define not only the obsessive devotion to a religion or personality, but also used to define those who venerate any number of mundane objects--even COMPACT DISC PLAYERS.

Of course, garbage in garbage out. But I would submit that the differences between CD players are not extreme.

I don't know what you consider "extreme" but the differences in players can be very substantial. These differences can easily be heard when auditioning players in a decent system when the only change is the player itself. I have found in the past that substantial improvement seems to occur at various plateaus. The under 1000k - 1500k level then the 1500k - 3000k level and the 4000k - 5000k and above level. These are by no means exact but I have found them generally to be valid.

You mention the word "chain" in your post and that is very important. A sound system is like a chain and is only as strong as its weakest link.

Another thing to consider is "synergy". You could have three different makes and designs of a certain type of component and all of roughly the same price and quality but one might sound/perform better in a given system due to to the "synergy" or matching of that component in that particular system.

If the person who started this thread were to match a player to his system he might be able to attain a sound that in his situation is a big difference. From what I can gather he is asking to maximize the performance of what he has now, not upgrade his whole system.

IMHO the best thing to do is get the loan of a couple of units and then just listen for a reasonable length of time, at least a day or two.

Also, it was never stated that cult status was in an if itself a "good" thing. In this case, Allen clearly stated that the object achieved that status for a good reason. Namely, that the product itself was good.

Two goods, but neither refer to the inherent value of "cults" or "cult status".

You can argue with Parrot till the cows come and it'll get you nowhere. Parrot feels he's above the rest of us, and in his world you either agree with his narrow-minded diatribe, or you're some kind of a nut case, moron. Believe me, guys like that have serious "issues", but this isn't the place. Enjoy whatever you're running boys. This isn't a contest.

I can't help but notice that often when I discuss the obvious shortcomings of particular equipment, and disagree with pitifully poor advice (using a sonic enhancer in this case), people who disagree with me respond with personal attacks.

Here's the difference:

Proper post: The "Whatever" CD player is harsh and has a weak low end response.

Proper response: I own the "Whatever" CD player and strongly disagree. It is smooth and has very solid bass.

Improper response: Oh yeah? Well I own the "Whatever" CD player and your mother is a *****.

What makes you think you're right? Most of the folks here simply offer suggestions. You, on the other hand, take the hard line. My way or the highway. I call BS. I don't agree with a word you say anyway, but I'm not going to sit idly by and let you buffalo folks with your one-dimensional opinions. It appears you have a sterile sounding system with shortcomings... who cares? I don't have to listen to your stereo and you'll never have the opportunity listen to mine.